Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ipod Mini Computer Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

baseballplaya21

baseballplaya21

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got my ipod mini about 4 days ago. Put about 10 songs on it but that's all. Now, when I plug it into my computer nothing happens. It gets charged, but that's it. My computer does not recognize the ipod neither does ITunes. So I tried another computer, same result. Could there be a problem with my ipod mini or just the cables? I am completely lost....any help will greatly be appreciated.

Advertisements

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Does the pc reconize it as a removable drive? If so check my computer and or window explorer. Look for an extra drive, ie. local disk, cd-drive d/e, 3 1/2 inch floppy, removable drive f/g or something like this.

layneB

layneB

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been experiencing the same problem. When I plug in the ipod using the cables supplied the computer makes a noise showing that it recognises the new hardware but i am unable to find the ipod in my computer or in itunes. After a series of uninstalling and reinstalling i have been able to transfer songs but again on connecting the ipod, it is not recognised. I would love to know if you have since been able to solves this problem.

xcuseme

xcuseme

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my 2nd Ipod mini. I returned the first one after such symptom after about 3 weeks. I got my replacement a week ago, and now no computer can SEE my ipod.

The apple FAQ doesn't say anything about this. Looks like it is in need of repair, or return.

layneB

layneB

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Since my last post I have found that restarting my computer after connecting the ipod or simply turning on the computer with the ipod already connected works fine. The ipod is now visible in itunes and song trandfers work fine. the ipod does not appear in my computer, however since I am able to transfer songs fine I'm not wooried by this.......as yet.

xcuseme

xcuseme

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks layneB.

This is what I've tried and did not work.
- hook it up to several computers (Window XP home & Pro)
- reboot several times, with Ipod connected/disconnected.
- use the control panel to scan for new devices

My daughter resets the Ipod (is that the right word? it erases everything) and it is now visible from the computer. Fortunately, she has saved a copy on disk. It's her Ipod, not mine.

I'll tell her about "itunes". What is it -just in case she doesn't know.

By the way, I was unable to install the software that came with the Ipod CD. Is that "itune"?o

layneB

layneB

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You need itunes since is the programme from which all the song can be transfered from your computer to the ipod. You can also download itunes from the apple site on the web.

DavidLB

DavidLB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had a similar problem Ipod not being recognised by WinXP Home (SP2) or Professional(SP2). It was a Podgear link cable. As a point of interest an Apple Mac and a Fedora Linux machine had no problems recognised it straight away.
Next tried through a USB2.0 hub – No good, so I tried through a very cheap old 1.1 usb hub and bingo connected! There has to be an answer there (and its probably simple) but I have not got round to figuring it out.
Incidentally it still it will not connect directly through the other machines usb ports?