Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry

• Please log in to reply

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
ScreenShot00026.jpg Is this good?? I run XP3 and I;m trying to learn things about my PC. Does this look about right?

I guess I should have posted this also! My OS is 9.28 GB. Windows is 6.49 GB Programs is 1.08GB Documents 999 MB. Not good with these big numbers, but I think I have 1.? GB of other

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DONETTA-C46FD94
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 3000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A02, 11/8/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name DONETTA-C46FD94\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 456.46 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hello! Is this a taboo Subject? I'm not cleaning the registry, just observing and trying to learn some thing new.If this a forbidden topic, please advise. I know GTG doesn't support cleaners. I'm not cleaning. I'm defraging and observing changes. I'm not promoting cleaners. I'm researching the registry and trying to learn about it. I have read several articles about this. Every thing I have read says it won't help any thing but won't hurt any thing. GTG says it it a place to learn as well as help. I'm trying to learn.
Thank you!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
garybear It is not the fact this is a forbidden subject but we are very busy. Checking your topics you have started 5 topics in the last 3 days which is hard to keep up with.
Though we would like to assist you please understand that others are needing assistance also and we can't just dedicate to answering 4 topics from one member. Please if you have questions about the registry use only one topic for all your inquiries to make it easier.
This topic alone you started 3 hours ago and have made two additional posts to it since. When we look for topics we always look for those topics that have no responses first. In your case it looks like you are receiving assistance with the posts you are making. Have some patience and someone will be along to help you.
Thank you for your cooperation.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Sorry Sir. I added reply's to my thread hoping to help. I didn't realize I was hogging the site. I try to learn new things. I'll go and get in my dog house now.
Thank you for your reply and understanding. I didn't realize you were that busy :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No need to apologize but if I may suggest something. Instead of adding a post to your topic just edit the original post to include any new info. This way it shows as only the one post and you will get speedier assistance. I have merged all 3 posts into one for you here.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Here http://www.bleepingc...tutorial74.html is a tutorial on the XP registry

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Here http://www.bleepingc...tutorial74.html is a tutorial on the XP registry

Hello Sir! Thank you for the link. I'm trying to learn a little about the Registry. I respect the Registry, but it does not scare me. I'm backed up to the hilt and can recover from just about any thing you want to throw my way. I would like to know how you feel about Registry Defragger. I have read a lot, but I'm still trying to decide if it is good or bad to defrag the Registry. AS you can see in my post,it was not necessary.1.5% I do defrag my page once a month when I don't forget. I don't think of the Registry being a big bad boogie man, but I do respect it. I'm going to observe my Registry for 6 months or so and see if I can learn any thing
Thank you sir for your reply.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I see no reason to defrag the registry.
You can have a lot of orphoned entries and it will not slow down the machine.
Please read this

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

I am still wondering why so many people use Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools while they don't even understand what the Windows Registry is, and/or don't understand Windows basics.

"Fix errors now!" and "Make your Windows fast again!", that's how all these tools are advertised.
People download and install it - click the "Fix it all" - Button (since many of these tools have such button available) and then notice that suddenly some programs won't work anymore, errors appear and in worst case, their Windows won't boot anymore...

Yes, I've seen it all... and many still won't believe that this may be a result of these tweaking tools, because after all, they are "supposed" to improve system performance, prevent errors and make a system more stable. Huh?
In most cases, people don't have any problems in the first place - but want to use these tools anyway.

I have to admit that there are some good "tweaking tools" around as well, but you shouldn't use these if you don't have basic knowledge about the registry and Windows in general. Only delete keys if you're certain that they can be deleted. Disable services if you're certain that you don't need them, let it set policies if you understand what they do etc..

Registry Cleaning won't really improve system speed anyway. Even though there are a lot of orphaned keys/values present, you won't notice a difference in system speed. The only difference you'll notice is when you actually search in your registry - but how many people do this?

On the contrary, as a matter of fact, if you "clean" the registry frequently, it actually becomes more fragmented after a while - and *that may* result in slower system performance, although you won't notice much difference.
I rather prefer to have a lot of orphaned keys in the registry, instead of keys/values that were deleted by a registry cleaner, which were not supposed to be deleted in the first place. And that's the risk of these Registry Cleaners, because many list keys/values as orphaned or unneeded while they are actually needed.
After all, a broken registry is a broken Windows.

The same goes for tweaking tools. Tools where you can select to disable certain services and add certain policies. The "Fix it all" button is also available in most cases, or an option where you can check/select several settings - and the more settings present, the more people believe that checking/selecting them all will result in a superfast computer...
Oh yes, check them all .... and complain aftwards:

* "Help! I'm having problems with Windows updates/Automatic Updates!"

Yes, because you disabled BITS, you disabled Automatic updates, or you have set some restrictive policies related with Windows update

"Help! My add/remove programs list is empty!"

Yes, because some Registry Cleaners unfortunately delete the Uninstall key in the registry - reference here. Only new programs installed will be listed there... (See picture above)

And so many more... Check out this thread for more opinions.
So, don't use them if you don't understand these tools.

After all, Don't fix when it ain't broken!

Written by Mieke Verburgh

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I am still wondering why so many people use Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools while they don't even understand what the Windows Registry is, and/or don't understand Windows basics.

Hello Sir. Thank you for your reply. I'm not talking about REG Cleaners. I',m talking defrag. I'm not convinced one way or the other; good or bad, but it's not deleting any thing. At least that's the way I see it. Like I stated I'm going to observe it for 6 months and make a decision. I only analyzed my Registry. I did not defrag it because it said I didn't need to. I would like for members that have the knowledge to use a program like this to see what they think and not just believe all they read. I want to caution everyone. IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE REGISTRY, PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH THE REGISTRY. iT'S NOT A PLACE FOR NEWBIES TO PLAY.
I can restore my PC in a hour or less. If you can not do that, don't even read this thread!!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
There's really no point in spending so much time worrying about the contents of the registry. It runs fine without intervention, for the most part. Keeping your hard drive free of clutter and defragging it can keep your PC running well, but the registry can just be left alone. You know that, we've told you that. Random screen shots with a vague question about whether or not something is good is not something that can be easily addressed, and since you've been told repeatedly that there's no need to bother with the registry, then why not give it a rest? Ask a real question about a real issue, and then someone will help you.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

There's really no point in spending so much time worrying about the contents of the registry. It runs fine without intervention, for the most part. Keeping your hard drive free of clutter and defragging it can keep your PC running well, but the registry can just be left alone. You know that, we've told you that. Random screen shots with a vague question about whether or not something is good is not something that can be easily addressed, and since you've been told repeatedly that there's no need to bother with the registry, then why not give it a rest? Ask a real question about a real issue, and then someone will help you.

:D :D ;)