Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop has been Reformatted - Help

• Please log in to reply

francisroyston

francisroyston

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi - I am new on here, please accept my apologies if this in the wrong section.

I have a laptop that I have wiped clean - in error, there seems to be nothing on it. I can look at the hard drive using some software called 'Acronis' and the drive is completely empty.

I do not need to recover any data, as that has all been backed up and I also have it on another of my computers.

Please can anybody suggest how I can get the OS (Windows XP) up and running again.
To add to the complication - I do not have any XP CD's other than a French version that I have borrowed from a friend (I live in France).
I have tried loading it into the laptop but all I get is a message (in French) saying:

NTLDR Missing
Press Alt-Ctrl-Del

when I do this it tries to boot from the disk but then returns the error message.
I have also tried loading a Dell XP disk that I have, but I still get the same error message.

I think I have really screwed the laptop up.
Can anybody Help - Please.

Francis

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi francisroyston ... :D ..:D...
go to the manufactures website and search for recovery disk...you will have to pay about $25.00 but it will install the OS and usually all the drivers you need...

francisroyston

francisroyston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks
I am happy to purchase recovery disks but before I do, will the recovery disks contain the Windows XP operating system?

My laptop appears to have lost everything that was on the hard drive (including the OS) and the sticker on the back of the laptop with the licence number on it has been removed.

I thought I might have to buy Windows XP again?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thanks
I am happy to purchase recovery disks but before I do, will the recovery disks contain the Windows XP operating system?

yep...if that's what came on the laptop

francisroyston

francisroyston

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the replies.
I have now ordered the disks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff