Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio problems

• Please log in to reply

sasano19

sasano19

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello again, sorry to bother you once more but I'm just stuck on this one and I dont know what it could be.

The problem : One of my headphone buds will suddenly stop working for awhile and return randomly.

By randomly I mean sometimes it comes back in a few seconds sometimes just after re-plugging the headset and sometimes I just have to wait well over an hour.(restarting doesn't help the issue)

Some of the times you can make out a very low sound coming from the none-working ear bud while other times it seems completely dead.

Notes :
-I may have had prior sound problems
-Problem started 2 1/2 days a go.
-Started out with a USB Headset
-Now using a Audio port(jack) Headset ( brand new)
-Current status : Bud not working well over 3 hours
-Debugging message never showed up again

How/when it happened
Spoiler

Things Ive tried
Ive tried the Windows Audio Troubleshooter a few times, which has basically made me check my drivers and hardware settings, everything seems to be fine and up to date.
-Tried "AutoFix" Microsoft audio Troubleshooter, but it errors out everytime I try and start it
-Tried using a Restore Point(2 days prior) and reverted it.
-Restarted the Computer, Shut it down for a couple of hours,etc.
-Tried 2 different Headsets, one USB and one Audio Port.

Sorry for the long winded poorly focused description but Im just bad at making this kind of report, please do ask if you need any information I might have missed or made confusing. :D

Edited by sasano19, 31 March 2011 - 12:41 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Hi sasano19,
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on sound card (if any) details would also help others to help you better.
Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow exclamation marks or red Xs?

sasano19

sasano19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ah yes of course basic info, Im pretty off today.

Its a custom build desktop, it was made by a friend about 2 years a go, so I might not have all the details.

I believe the rest of the information is in the picture, Im afraid might name the wrong thing.

As for the device manager thing, yes I did, it was part of the troubleshooting thing I mentioned earlier, there is not exclamation mark or red X on the Sound, Video & Game Controller however there is one yellow exclamation on SCSI and RAID controllers all though I assumed that was an unrelated problem to my audio.

Attached Thumbnails

• computerinfo.JPG

Edited by sasano19, 31 March 2011 - 01:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Is your MB a Gigabyte P43-E53?
If it is your audio driver is out of date, your dxdiag screen shot shows the driver date as 2008/04/29.
The latest driver available is 2011/02/09 http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=2960#dl
This may not be a driver issue but the actual audio chip itself, if updating the audio driver does not
resolve the issue then at least it will not have cost you anything, worst case scenario is fitting an add
on card such as a sound blaster and they are that inexpensive nowadays they're almost giving them away.
Try the driver update and let us know the results.

EDIT: Sorry I should have asked when you click on the Sound tab at dxdiag what does it report and have you tested the audio device in dxdiag?

Edited by phillpower2, 31 March 2011 - 01:55 PM.

sasano19

sasano19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im about to start the driver update I believe ; so I need to restart.So I'll reply about that in a bit

Im not 100% what the report is supposed to be but there's a little Note part on the bottom that says :
-To test DirectSound functionality, click the "Test DirectSound" button above.
-No problems found.

As for testing I've tried the Test DirectSoundwhich plays a some sound effects, as well as another test in the Music Tab that says Test using this portwith 3 options Microsoft Synthesizer, Microsoft MIDI Mapper[Emulated], Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated] They all "work" with the one ear bud.

sasano19

sasano19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Updated the driver.

So I'm bit confused on how I should report this, but basically I started the installation, it asked for a restart.Once it rebooted the sound was still messed up, I started messing around with the plugs like I usually do, this time I changed my audio to where my mic port goes in and changed it to headset on the realtek software and it worked...The audio port however couldn't support the mic jack so I turn it back to how it was originally and its now working fine. :D

So I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence that it came back now(haven't had a response in hours) or that drivers did something, So I am a bit hesitant to call it a complete fix.

Honestly speaking what are the chances that I'm just an unlucky idiot? and that my USB headset just broke on one side and my Audio Jack just happens to be messed in the same way? Cause Im starting to suspect it. :D

Edited by sasano19, 31 March 2011 - 03:00 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Possibly the drivers resolved the issue and possibly not, it would be helpful to know but if
your sound stays ok I suspect you will be happy.
Just to add to an earlier post;

however there is one yellow exclamation on SCSI and RAID controllers all though I assumed that was an unrelated problem to my audio.

Correct, the above concerns the HDD, I hope the issue is resolved but keep us posted.

sasano19

sasano19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry for the late reply, Everything does seem fine so far so we might have fixed it with the driver update.

I have to thank you for your assistance, Im really helpless when it comes to computers.

All things set & done do you have any idea where I could get more information on the HDD problem? I'd like to look into it first before I start asking for more help :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

All things set & done do you have any idea where I could get more information on the HDD problem?

That would depend on the particular problem, it may be as easy as updating a driver, right click on the
device and see what options it gives you, also worth mentioning is if you only have the one HDD you can
rule out any RAID issues and check out SCSI possibilities, I feel updating the driver may put it right.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Last post duplicated so I have added some additional info for you;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI

Edited by phillpower2, 02 April 2011 - 03:16 AM.