Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help: Retrieving data from broken HDD

• Please log in to reply

Limited

Limited

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, hope you can help me.

Today my Seagate 1TB HDD broke. The microUSB port broke off the circuitboard (voiding the warranty) that plugs into the main body of the drive (Raptor 3.5" main board V2R1).

I've looked for a replacement board but they're not sold generally and the ones I could find (I think) were hugely expensive.

I'm going to buy a new drive but what I need is some sort of a cable or fix to access the drive and copy the contents onto the new one I get.

Here are some pics:

1) A look at the main body, the drive.

Posted Image

2) Here is the slot for the circuit board and the male part of the circuit board

Posted Image

3) The circuit board, adjacent to the now detached usb port.

Posted Image

4) A closer look at the model of the board.

Posted Image

Once again, I really hope you guys can help me.

tl;dr - Here are some pics of my broken HDD, what do I need to salvage the data from it?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There are a couple of choices from what it appears. I am not familiar with this specific drive, so I am going on just the pictures and what you said. The first option is to buy an identical drive and swap the boards to get the data off. The second option is to buy a USB connector, most likely a larger one, to make it easier to solder to it, and attach some small jumper wires from the board to the connector. If you find the pin-out for the usb connector, you should be able to determine how to attach the wires. You might also check with Seagate to see what they would charge to repair the board.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Does your image points to an external drive? correct me if I'm wrong. Why not connect it to a working desktop pc to see if the hard drive would still be recognized. And if it does go purchase and external enclosure.

slaterdj

slaterdj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's your solution, I had the same problem. Purchase Thermaltake Black Widow PC Gaming Hard Drive eSata + USB Docking Station (part number: ST0005U). I got mine at Best Buy for $55, but I'm sure you can find it online for much less. Good luck - trust me this works..... oh and by the way, dont buy a SATA-to-USB cable because your USB port on your PC does not provide enough power to the hard drive and you won't be able to access your drive.

KINGPAUL99

KINGPAUL99

• Pip
  • 1 posts

HERE IS A BETTER ANSWER..........http://www.ebay.com/..............SURE THIS WILL HELP............IT FIXED MY PROBLEM FOR $24.99 PLUS $4 POSTAGE TO AUSTRALIA..........

A 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive docking station with power supply.....usb2.0 and usb3.0 from orica