Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finding a new processor for an aging Compaq

• Please log in to reply

mycompsux

mycompsux

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi all,

I recently got an old Compaq Presario S3500CL working again and I wanted to upgrade the processor. According to Sandra Lite, I have a MSI MS-6577 motherboard that has an Intel 845 chipset (Brookdale) clocked at 2.66 GHz. Ideally, I want to get to 3.00+ GHz with Hyper-Threading.

I am confused, however because when I searched for the specifications of my motherboard online through HP, I found this http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c00058048

This page reports that the CPU only supports Northwood and Willamette processors that are socket 478 and have FSBs of 400/533.

So my questions are: What exactly does my motherboard support? Are there different models of MS-6577? Will this processor http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_1999wt_1139 work with my motherboard?

Edited by mycompsux, 01 April 2011 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.cpu-world...rthwood%29.html

See the above it will I am sure be of interest to you.

However to answer as far as possible your specific query, that motherboard supports a MAX OF 2Gb of ram. on DDR 184 pin 333Mhz Pc2700 - on that link you sent HOWEVER Crucial list the max as ONLY 1Gb two slots 512Mb in each
Depending on what ram it has now and bearing in mind that generally speaking ram is the cheapest and most impressive upgrade to a PC, the question I would ask is, in your best interest, "IS THIS A WORTHWHILE EXERCISE."

The answer regarding Sandra Lite I would suspect is that , the utility can only see the board as an MSI MS6577, albeit that it is indeed correct it does have an Intel 845 northbridge chipset.
Intel 845GV Chipset
  • FSB 400/533
  • Multiplexed AGP interface
  • Integrated 3D/2D graphic core
  • Supports DDR 333/266/200 memory
That is a copy and paste from the link you inlcuded in your post.

Moving then to the question of the processor - which is NOT the Intel northbridge - - this is an explanation of northbridge and southbridge
Northbridge Connects CPU to: RAM AGP bus PCI Express bus Built-in display Adapter Southbridge Connects CPU to: ATA (IDE) Drives USB bus FireWire bus Serial port Parallel port Built-in audio
Moving to the processor and again from the link you sent you can clearly install an Intel pentium4 at 3.06 Ghz.
Additionally you may well find if you go to the MSI site that that motherboard is NOT listed, it may well have been made specifically for HP.

That all said, in my opinion the cost of this exercise is not worthwhile for any gain in performance.

Posted Image I now believe that Crucial is correct - as this is the specification of your computer I think. .
Personally, my best advice, albeit you may not like it is - it is unworthy of spending the amount of money you are contemplating.

Compaq Presario S3500CL - P4 2.66 GHz specifications
  • General
  • Type Personal computer
  • Product Form Factor Mid tower
  • Width 6.9 in
  • Depth 14.5 in
  • Height 16.5 in
  • Weight 23.8 lbs
  • Localization English / United States
  • Processor
  • Type Intel Pentium 4 2.66 GHz
  • Installed Qty 1.0
  • Max Supported Qty 1.0
  • Mainboard
  • Chipset type Intel 845GE
  • Data bus speed 533.0 MHz
  • RAM
  • Installed Size 512.0 MB / 1.0 GB (max)
  • Technology DDR SDRAM
  • Memory Speed 333.0 MHz
  • Memory Specification Compliance PC2700
  • Form Factor DIMM 184-pin
  • Storage Controller
  • Type IDE - Integrated
  • Storage
  • Floppy Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy
  • Hard Drive 1.0 x 80.0 GB - Standard - 5400.0 rpm
  • Hard Drive (2nd) None
  • Optical Storage
  • Type DVD�RW - IDE
  • Optical Storage (2nd)
  • Type None
  • Storage Removable
  • Type None
  • Monitor
  • Monitor Type none.
  • Graphics Controller
  • Type Integrated
  • Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel Extreme Graphics Shared video memory (UMA)
  • Audio Output
  • Type Sound card - Integrated
  • Input Device
  • Type Mouse , Keyboard
  • Telecom
  • Modem Fax / modem
  • Max Transfer Rate 56.0 Kbps
  • Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92
  • Networking
  • Networking Network adapter - Integrated
  • Data Link Protocol Fast Ethernet , Ethernet
  • Printer
  • Type None
  • Expansion / Connectivity
  • Expansion Bays 2.0 (total) / 1.0 (free) x Internal - 5.25" x 1/2H , 2.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H , 1.0 (total) / 1.0 (free) x Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H
  • Expansion Slot(s) 1.0 (total) / 2.0 (free) x PCI - DIMM 184-pin , 2.0 (total) / 1.0 (free) x Memory - 478-pin Micro FCPGA , 3.0 (total) / 0.0 (free) x Processor , 1.0 (total) / 1.0 (free) x AGP 4x
  • Interfaces 1.0 x Modem - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) , 1.0 x Display / video - Generic - 4 pin USB Type A , 1.0 x Parallel - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-11 , 1.0 x Keyboard - Generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 1.0 x Hi-Speed USB - Phone line - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9) , 1.0 x Mouse - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style) , 1.0 x Serial - RS-232 - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25) , 1.0 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - RJ-45 , 6.0 x Network
  • Miscellaneous
  • Pricing Type Remarketed
  • Power
  • Device Type Power supply
  • Power Provided 200.0 Watt
  • Operating System / Software
  • OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 April 2011 - 08:11 PM.

mycompsux

mycompsux

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for the response.

Crucial reports that I can support up to DDR PC3200 (512x2). Currently, I have DDR PC2100 (512x2).

I read that if I were to put the 800MHz FSB CPU in my machine, it would bottleneck and actually run slower than advertised because of my motherboard's limitations. Would a 533 MHz Northwood socket 478 be a better fit?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I can only repeat that in my opinion the improvement in performance will be so small, as to be effectively un-noticebale and not worthy of the expense.
You are trying to improve what I think is a five or six year old computer.
For a start your PSU is only 200 watts and if you were to add a graphics card of any quality - depending on what can run on that board and chips - you would then be looking at a new PSU

mycompsux

mycompsux

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I'm actually going to upgrade the PSU to 350W to support the Radeon x1650 Pro which I recently purchased. Currently, I have a 250W PSU that runs the card; however, the core and memory speeds need extra power to run faster. Even without the extra power, the performance and quality improvement in my most graphically intensive games such as Call of Duty 2 and Far Cry is very noticeable. In other words, I am able to use higher graphics settings than I did six or seven years ago when my machine was relatively new running a GeForceFX 5900XT.

Your point is well taken in that upgrading this old machine may be fruitless, but I would rather purchase extremely cheap parts than a new computer tailor-made for 2011. I do not plan on running any modern games that need dual core processors or HD graphics. All of my applications are from 2001-2006 at the latest. Basically, I don't want to "get with the times" just yet.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck with it.
Please come back with any further queries you have.

I just wanted to ensure that you were aware of the postition.

If you are going to put a new processor in and please bear in mind I have no way of knowing your level of knowledge, please be careful.
It is so very easy when inserting the processor to bend a pin.
Anti-static precautions are VITAL.
If your processor cooling comes with thermal paste pre-applied do not forget to remove the protective film, you certainly would not be the first to make that mistake.
If not pre-applied - do not forget to apply thermal paste.

Your real limitation is going to be your 1Gb of ram.
This is considered to be the minimum IDEAL: amount.
I wish you all the best

mycompsux

mycompsux

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for your help.

I purchased 2x512 PC 3200 DDR sticks along with my other items. I will have Arctic Silver at the ready before installing the processor.