Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop selection omg I'm so confused

• Please log in to reply

Ellzeena

Ellzeena

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been doing internet research, checking reviews, asking experts, and generally I've gotten more and more confused. So far I've come up with following specifications it appears I NEED (I will use this laptop for the manuscript of my new book, needs to be fast, user friendly, and I really don't want to hook up two external hard drives to prevent disaster, oy.) Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 800 MGz front side bus, 5 processor upgrades available, base computer (this refers to Sony Vaio SR series 2011) 4GB of DDR2 RAM (upgradable to 6 or 8), base has 250GB, 5400 RPM hard drive, solid state hard drive available 128 or 256 GB. Now none of this means much to me but apparently means a great deal to the reviewers. Other people have suggested Toshiba but I've seen a lot of kvetching and outright hostility toward Toshiba laptops; another suggested LenovoG560 but I've seen even worse reviews for THAT. I was told Dell was sold in 2005 and their product is no longer reliable and customer service is awful. (By the way, I read one review on Sony that THEIR customer service is a joke, too.)

So, please: I just want this laptop to work (I am no using a six year old Sony Vaio with faded LETTERS on keyboard and it works just fine, but I want to purchase another for the book), and I want it fast and reliable. I have NO DOUBT that someone here will be able to direct me. I'd be eternally grateful. THANK YOU.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Ellzeena,
Can you give us a budget to work with.

Ellzeena

Ellzeena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
budget: up to $1,500.00 Thanks :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is a good budget to work with, I will find you some suggestions with the best spec and budget.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220921
http://www.newegg.co...-MSI-_-34152203

Ellzeena

Ellzeena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
THANK YOU! :D

Ellzeena

Ellzeena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
These are gaming machines so I anticipate all requirements and have read reviews, but Office is not installed (or so it appears). I do have the CD so this shouldn't be a problem, right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome and good luck with what ever you decide.
One tip for you, a higher speed HDD will compliment the speed of the processor, look for 7200rpm HDDs as opposed to 5400rpm.

Ellzeena

Ellzeena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't need a gaming machine, these do not come equipped with software necessary for word processing. I need a machine that is fast, reliable, can hold several manuscripts. I think there must be one such that isn't geared toward gaming. ???

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The laptops suggested are fit for whatever purpose you see fit to use them for, the graphics chips are the one thing over and above what you require for word processing but that is normal for top of the range laptops.
As for the word processing software I have yet to see anything other than trial versions (bloatware) pre-installed, bundling MS Office 2010 is going to add a couple of hundred bucks to the price of the laptop, they just wouldn`t sell.

Ellzeena

Ellzeena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Office 97 CD, I actually prefer it to newer edditions. I imagine that will install all the word processing I need. Will it install with Windows version on this laptop?