Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not install OS

• Please log in to reply

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

RAM: Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PGV34G1600ELK

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

CD/DVD player: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer

I installed all the parts correctly (As far as i can tell). The computer boots fine, gets to the motherboard boot screen. I can access the BIOS. The CPU/RAM is registering fine. The hard drive is registering. The CD/DVD player is registering.

I burned an ISO of Windows 7 Professional x64 onto a disk, and put it in the CD player. Every time I attempted to boot from the disk, the monitor signal cut out. The rest of the computer stayed on, CPU/graphics cards fans stayed on, System fans stayed on, but there was no signal to the monitor. I tried again with a different disk, same result. Tried again with an Ubuntu v 10.04 disk, same result.

Is this a graphics card issue, a CPU issue, a hard drive issue, or a CD issue?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I burned an ISO of Windows 7 Professional x64 onto a disk,

Where did this come from?
Did you set the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD/DVD drive 1st and the HDD 2nd, save the settings (F10) and exit, then press Y to accept the changes, once this has been done the HDD must be formatted and partitioned before installing the OS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
http://windows.micro...lling-Windows-7

Edited by phillpower2, 02 April 2011 - 03:10 PM.

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got it from the MSDNAA program at my school. It is the full version (I double checked because I thought it was just the upgrade version).

I adjusted the boot order to boot from CD. The problem is when the computer tries to boot the file from the CD... the monitor loses signal. (As in, the motherboard boot screen will appear, then the message ("BOOT FROM CD/DVD") will appear very briefly, then the monitor cuts out.)

I ran an HD diagnostic tool from western digital, and my hard drive is fine. I doubt it's a graphics card issue (the motherboard boot screen shows up fine... usually graphics cards either work or they don't)... which leaves a CD/DVD drive issue, a CPU issue, a RAM issue, or the CD i'm trying to use.

The CPU and RAM show up fine in BIOS, and the cd/dvd drive is being recognized.

Is it possible that I'm having a hardware malfunction somewhere, or could it simply be the CD I'm trying to install from (I've used several different CD's, made in ROXIO and IMGburn... I have the same issue trying to install UBUNTU disks that I burned)?

Edited by ilikepaste, 02 April 2011 - 04:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

usually graphics cards either work or they don't

They need drivers to be installed first before they will work and in this instance
you are reliant on the windows drivers being installed.
Have you checked whether the disks you have burned will work on another computer.

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have not. I might have burned the ISO's incorrectly (non-bootable), so I'll try remaking the disks using a different imager, but I'm not sure if an improper disk format would cause my graphics card to stop sending a signal to my MOBO... I'm tempted to say the CD format wouldn't affect the graphics output (i.e. the computer would just fail to boot form the CD, and prompt me to put in a bootable disk), but I've never really encountered this problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
From post #5

They need drivers to be installed first before they will work and in this instance
you are reliant on the windows drivers being installed.

Without at least the windows basic drivers you will not get a display of any kind, the BIOS
screen is not reliant on this as all the information it requires is on the BIOS chip.
Checking the disks that you have burned on another computer is the easiest option at present
or installing another OS if you have a legitimate disk and product key.

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I see, didn't know that. This might be reaching, but do you think there's a possibility of it being a CPU issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Whilst it is always possible it may be a CPU issue it is less likely than the lack of an installed OS.
With a bad CPU a bent pin for example you would not get a display of any kind or if you had not applied
enough thermal paste or not connected the CPU fan the CPU would overheat and the MBs thermal sensor would
shut down the whole system to protect it from harm, most modern MBs have a thermal sensor some older ones
do not.
The alternative OS I suggested earlier includes retail versions of XP or Vista, anything that has not been
burned to disk, I am not doubting your ability to burn a disk but attempting to rule out the possibility
of the drive being used to burn being bad, the disks themselves not being good or a problem with the burning
software.

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
TBH, I'm probably burning the disk wrong... I was using ROXIO and IMGburn, but am now going to try Active Iso burner (I won't have access to an actual windows system disk until later next week)... I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Another burning option http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

wellfed

wellfed

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi - I have a very similar problem to ilikepaste. Same mobo and the 'K' version of the processor. Corsair RAM which is on the compatibility list and a 64GB Kingston SSD. I also have a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit ISO burned to DVD - this came from the Software4Students website last year and has been used on the previous build prior to upgrading to Sandy Bridge. I have reburned the ISO to ensure it wasn't a dodgy quality copy.

System starts okay and I can load Windows. It goes through the loading process and restarts getting to the initial Windows 7 splash screen and the screen flickers and the monitor enter standby. Subsequent restarts gets the 'Windows wasn't shut down correctly' screen; selecting Safe Mode complains that Windows has not completed installation; selecting load normally ends with the splash screen freezing and the monitor going into standby. Fans remain on as with ilikepaste.

I have a couple of original Windows 7 Home Premium DVDs and neither the 32 or 64 bit versions load. Bizarrely, an original copy of Windows XP works fine as does Ubuntu 10.10 live distro.

Have tested RAM with MemTest and it's fine. CPU and SSD are showing correctly in BIOS.

Getting to the end of my tether with this! There is only a graphics card (ATI 4850) the SSD and a Pioneer DVD drive attached.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
UPDATE I used IMG burn to burn my ISO, OS installed fine. Seems the ISO disc i was using wasn't bootable.

Thanks for all the help!

ilikepaste

ilikepaste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
PS how do I mark this as solved?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Direct to wellfed, please do not bump other members topics, not only can it lead to confusion with the advice being offered but also as in this case the original issue has now been resolved and the member has requested that the topic be closed, thank you for your understanding.

@ ilikepaste Congratulations on a successful resolution to the OS issue :D Thank you for allowing me to assist you, for choosing GTG and very importantly for posting the solution so that it may help others. :D
A member of staff upon reading your last post will mark your original issue as solved and close this topic.