Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything stutters, distorts audio and spikes the CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
So over the last few days, I've had a problem with my computer's CPU usage spiking up to around 30% in half-second intervals usually lasting about ten seconds but recurring throughout the day. Task manager doesn't show where the usage is going to, but the resource monitor handily labels something called "System Interrupts" as getting a few spikes during this time.

I've updated my java and Firefox keeps itself pretty well updated. I cleaned out the Internet history and went through the registries with CCleaner (I backed them up just in case they turned out useful, but most are from old installs), defragged and I'm still putting up with this nonsense. It seems to really start up when using video from Youtube or any kind of media, but it can also happen when I'm just reading text, so...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
A minor bump with some of the stuff I've tried to fix this and failed with.

There was some posts saying a program called audiodg.exe or something like that was the culprit, so I went through the volume settings and turned it off. No effect. I tried updating all of my drivers, and according to the Slimdrivers program, they're all up to date.

The problem mainly seems to show up while using the wifi + anything media-related like music or video. It's very rare the computer stutters when the wifi is turned off, but turning it on and just hitting the Yahoo homepage will make iTunes or anything else go into a fit. So I'm totally out of ideas at the moment.

badassbiker

badassbiker

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
It sounds to me like you may have a resource conflict.

Click on start and in the search box type in msinfo32 and hit enter.

Expand Hardware Resources and click on Conflicts / Sharing. This will show you the resources that are being used by more than one component. Click on File -> Save As and name the file something like conflicts.txt.

Copy and Paste the contents of this file into your next post.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000000F Direct memory access controller
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000000F PCI bus

IRQ 16 Intel® Management Engine Interface
IRQ 16 Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C
IRQ 16 Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 3B44
IRQ 16 Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 3B4C

IRQ 17 AVerMedia A323 MiniCard Hybrid ATSC
IRQ 17 Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 3B42

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Note that I tried a system restore after all the driver updates and went back a week, well before any of this showed up to pester me. I can restore back to when they were all updated or just install them again if need be.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Would you please post the make and full model of the computer if branded.
What Operating system please Vista (which)
Windows7 (which)

Slimdrivers program

Generally speaking, NEVER use these sort of programs.
They mostly have a terrible habit of supplying the wrong driver.
There ONLY real benefit, if any, is to indicate to you that they consider a driver to be out of date., with a more recent driver available.
The ONLY place to go for your drivers is either to the computer manufacturer site ie: Dell etc, if no hardware has been added that is NOT from them
OR to the manufacturers site for the graphics - if a separate card, audio etc the same
OR to the motherboard site if integrated.

When you post back with the details I have asked for I will be able to advise you further.

Whatever operating system it is when you use CCleaner - NEVER use the regsitry cleaning aspect of it.
OR indeed ANY registry cleaner, booster, make it go faster program etc that has control of the registry.
NOT ONE of these programs can be trusted to get it right on every computer - ALL of the time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 April 2011 - 05:39 PM.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks much for that Slimdrivers tip. Using CCleaner is usually just reserved for cleaning out temp files from Firefox and such, but this annoying stutter pushed me to try other things. Anywho.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name AKU-PC
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model BK139AA-ABA 600-1120
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.01, 12/17/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Aku-PC\Aku
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.74 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.64 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.48 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.21 GB
Page File Space 3.74 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you noticed that there is a new Intel Graphics driver issued for that computer.
An update from the original
http://h10025.www1.h...176682&sw_lang=

Whilst there I would personally install the other new driver for the touch screen AND MORE IMPORTANTLY if you have accepted any drivers from anywhere except HP, unless of course for any added hardware that was
not included with the computer, I would reinstall the original,drivers from the site I have given you. especially in view of what you have said the Wireless card. driver

PLEASE CHECK that it has stayed on the link with the CORRECT 64 bit Operating system

Additionally

using video from Youtube or any kind of media, but it can also happen when I'm just reading text, so...

If this problem was restricted to just YouTube I would be thinking of a required add-on etc, but as you say that even reading text , I think we can eliminate that for the time being.

The latest Firefox is version 4.
Do you have that.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 04:17 PM.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sorry for the delay. Yeah, I have Firefox 4 and it didn't change anything. Ditto with the driver. I have watched a few vids so far and the stuttering isn't gone, but less frequent and doesn't last as long. It does still tend to disrupt anything it happens to catch in the download process, though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Open Firefox.
Click the Help tab
Restart with add-ons disabled.

How is it now please.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
21 minutes into a 27 minute video, I get the stuttering again. An improvement compared to when I couldn't do ANYTHING without it stuttering, at least. And now it appears the stuttering's going to stick around a bit, as I've closed the video but still have it.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Disabling Audio Effects
disable the audio enhancements processed by the audiodg.exe file. To disable the audio enhancements, use the following steps:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the lower right corner.
  • Select Playback Devices from the menu. A list of devices should appear on the screen.
  • Double-click the device that has a green checkmark. The properties windows for that device should open.
  • Click the Enhancements tab at the top.
  • From the list of enhancements, uncheck all of them, or click the Disable all enhancements checkbox.
  • Click the OK button to save your changes and close the window.
  • Click OK to close the Playback Devices window.
If this is not what you did when you mention audiodg.exe. Please try this

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 April 2011 - 03:37 AM.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yeah that's one of the first things I looked up and tried, didn't work. The system restore brought it back and I totally forgot about disabling it, but again, no help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://www.msfn.org/...-dpc-interrupt/

I have not used this tool so I cannot advise you further, but all the reports I have read indicate success

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 April 2011 - 03:03 AM.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm trying to follow that guide, but I ran into a problem. The stackwalk part won't automatically work with x64 Windows, and this is how it's supposed to be fixed:

"To enable Stackwalk on a x64 Windows, you have to set a registry value. Start Regedit.exe and go to the following key:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

and create a DWORD (if it not already exists) DisablePagingExecutive and set the value to 1 and reboot to enable the setting."

Problem is, I can't find that key with Regedit or any searching through the computer. Am I supposed to make it? And if I do, where do I put it? There's a video on how to do it but, ha ha, computer stutters and the connection times out when I try to reach it.

I know you're not familiar with the program but any ideas are appreciated.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No you are certainly not meant to create it
have youtried a find on regedit.
ie: click the edit tab and then find and then the key