Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything stutters, distorts audio and spikes the CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
No do not create it.
Have you tried a find on regedit by clicking edit tab and then find - with registry key checked

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 April 2011 - 01:59 PM.

Advertisements

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Alright, finally got it to run (I was being oblivious to Regedit filing it as HKeyLocalMachine instead of HKLM, sorry about that), and these are my results. So...it's ndis.sys and Unknown causing the problems. I think.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tres.png

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The NDIS is of course related to you network card
The unknown indicators are most likely kernel drivers

That all said, apart from a suggestion to check if a driver for the network card or a chipset driver has been updated by some auto update program you have running, I have to be honest and tel you I do not KNOW.

I will do my best to get someone more experienced at this aspect than me to have a look for you.
I keep on thinking ram issue, but I would expect other symptoms.

Please do this

AFTER trying the network card and chipset update.
1. CHKDSK
Open the Computer option from the start menu, which will display all of the drives available to scan on your PC:

Posted Image

Then, right click on the drive you wish to scan for errors and select Properties:

Posted Image

Now click the Tools menu, then Check Now under the error-checking section:

Posted Image

You have several options within the check disk tool. It is always recommended you leave the "automatically fix file system errors" box checked, as this repairs and problems found. If you want to perform a deeper scan, tick "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". This second option takes longer, but is worth doing if you suspect a drive problem. Once you are configured, click Start:

Posted Image

If you try to check a disk that is currently in use, you will receive a message asking if you wish to schedule a scan. Accepting this will perform the scan next time you restart your PC:

Posted Image

2. SYSTEM FILE CHECK
To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 7 1. Open a elevated command prompt.

2. To Scan and Repair System Files
NOTE: Scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs the system files if needed. Please see red WARNING box at the top of this tutorial.A) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 April 2011 - 02:52 PM.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Man, you weren't kidding when you said that CHKDSK would take a while. So I'm just now back up and running, no stuttering at the moment but I've yet to try iTunes or video stuff because once it starts, it sticks around even for pages of text. When it does come back I'll do the system file check. EDIT: that didn't turn up anything, either.

The suspicious drivers were all up to date according to the Start/Devices and Printers list, but maybe there's some other way of checking them that I'm not familiar with. Barring that, perhaps this is common with some kind of faulty hardware?

Edited by monkeyfish, 09 April 2011 - 09:11 PM.

monkeyfish

monkeyfish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Bump for the great return of this issue. The CHKDSK thing actually worked, and I went merrily along until I decided to update my Java. Within the hour of doing so, the stuttering returned. Turns out when it updated, that it went into 32-bit mode. So I uninstalled that and tried the 64 bit version, but still got the stuttering.

Should I go through the CHKDSK process again, or is there a slightly less time-consuming method to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.