Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent Crashes since windows update installed IE 8

• Please log in to reply

lostinpchell

lostinpchell

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Since a recent windows update that installed IE 8, if i have more than 2 tabs open in a window my whole computer shuts down, and when it reboots i get the message that my system has recovered from a serious error and it proceeds to ask me to sent a report to microsoft.... is there a fix for this issue? i tried to uninstall the IE 8 and then all [bleep] broke loose and none of my browsers would work due to missing dll files... i've run malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy and both scans come up clean.. please help

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi lostinpchell,
This may not be related to an infection as you have run 2 scans already.
Please try this first. Close all open programs (including internet).
Right click on My Computer, Click on Open > Right click on Local Disk (usually C) > Click on Properties.
In the box that opens click on Tools > Go to Error checking and click Check Now > Tick the 2 boxes in there and click Start.
A message will tell you basically to schedule a check next time you restart > Click Yes.
Now reboot your computer and a 5 stage check should begin. This can take 1 hour, so please let it run.
Let your computer see if it can find an error first and repair it.
Thank You

lostinpchell

lostinpchell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have already done this step while i was waiting for a reply from you as i looked on microsoft's website and this was the next step that they gave me.. it also came up as no problems that's why i am sitting here scratching my head wondering what is wrong with it

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
OK, next idea
Open I.E. and click Tools along the top line, and from the dropdown menu select Internet Options.
Under 'General' go to Tabs and click Settings.
I have these items ticked. from the top by number 1, 2, 4, and 6 . Then In the drop down box "The new tab page"
Below that, the 2 center circles only.
I hope you understand that, rather that me writing the full name of each item.
Thanks

EDIT -
If you do not understand, please tell me

Edited by noknojon, 02 April 2011 - 11:48 PM.

lostinpchell

lostinpchell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
that's how my settings are and were lol got you stumped too

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
:D
Good one, now I need to think. (Glad you understood)
Now with I.E.8 also click on compatability view. Looks like a page ripped in half.
Located at the end of the bar where you enter http etc.

and none of my browsers would work due to missing dll files

Do you have your XP CD ?

lostinpchell

lostinpchell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yes i have my xp Cd, and omg please don't tell me that i may have to reformat, this thing is a monster and i can do that to a pc with just a single hard drive but i would surely mess this one up as it has 2... i did a system restore back to the date BEFORE i had the updates because i created a restore point before installing... everything is working except IE... in the meantime i have been using google chrome and/or firefox... why is it that microsoft releases so called "new and improved" before fixing the bugs and making us guinea pigs?

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

omg please don't tell me that i may have to reformat

You will not get that from me. I would send you to the Malware forum area first -
Have you done a sfc /scannow to check if the missing .dll items can be recovered -
Same as dskchk /r only you enter sfc /scannow to check system files -
Go to Run box Type or Copy and Paste sfc /scannow and place your CD in then click OK.

Also if you do not want IE8, do you have IE7 listed in My Documents. You could reinstall that.

EDIT -
I assume you have SP3 installed ? ?

Edited by noknojon, 03 April 2011 - 12:16 AM.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi
Several things are a bit odd with your problem if you have only just updated to IE8 now.
I checked my Add/Remove in my XP Control Panel and have found about 10 updates for IE8 so far.
I.E.8 was installed about September last year on mine, and I did go to IE7 for a week then came back to 8 . . .
Can you go to Windows Updates and see if there are any more updates for you to download now.

Edited by noknojon, 03 April 2011 - 12:47 AM.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again
Just an update after talking to a few others these were the best results I can give you.

I'd say you may have messed a bit too much to remove IE8. SFC /scannow might help. In worst case a Repair install.

IE is heavily integrated in Windows and if you tried somehow to "remove" it manually, you might need a repair installation.

Thank You
EXTRA
If you wish to do a Repair Install then THIS TUTORIAL will help you greatly
Please ignore the advertising on the page and only follow the directions after reading it

Edited by noknojon, 03 April 2011 - 03:48 AM.