Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

American megatrends ?

• Please log in to reply

Susannah

Susannah

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am not computer literate.( a bit long in the tooth for it ) At start up as of round a week ago I get an American Megatrends window. I Googled it and discovered it's a manufacturer of computer components ...also learned that it could mean my hard drive will probably fail...or maybe the motherboard. I use Windows Home XP. My hard drive is Samsung 160GB HDD SATA although this is probably not relevant here.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Susannah, 02 April 2011 - 10:19 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Susannah :D
When the computer is booting up try pressing the tab key, it should give you the option to turn the AM splash screen off.
For peace of mind back all important data on the HDD (should be done regularly anyway) and then run Chkdsk and see what it reports, this will not resolve any mechanical issues that the HDD may have but it may confirm that the HDD has bad sectors on it and needs to be replaced, does your computer have the SMART facility and if so is it enabled?
SMART monitors the HDD and can give advance warning of a potential HDD failure.

How to run Chkdsk
Notes
Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume when it runs. Therefore, if one or more of the files are open on the disk that you want to check, Chkdsk displays a prompt asking if you want schedule the disk check for the next time that you restart your computer.
Chkdsk might take a long time to run, depending on the number of files and folders, the size of the volume, disk performance, and available system resources, such as processor and memory.
Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.
How to run Chkdsk at the command prompt
Click Start, and then click Run.
In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
Use one of the following procedures:
To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer
Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
Click Properties, and then click Tools.
Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
Use one of the following procedures:
To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:
Collapse this tableExpand this tableExit code Description
0 No errors were found.
1 Errors were found and fixed.
2 Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed, or cleanup was not performed because /f was not specified.
3 Could not check the disk, errors could not be fixed, or errors were not fixed because /f was not specified.

For more information about Chkdsk, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
Chkdsk:
http://technet.micro...y/bb491071.aspx (http://technet.micro...y/bb491071.aspx)
Running Chkdsk to repair file systems:
http://technet.micro...y/bb457122.aspx (http://technet.micro...y/bb457122.aspx)
For more information about Chkdsk, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314835 (http://support.micro....com/kb/314835/ ) An explanation of the new /C and /I switches that are available to use with Chkdsk.exe

Susannah

Susannah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm not familiar with the forum . I did post a reply but it's not here...must be somewhere . Wanted to thank you for your response to my question. I did the chkdsk thing which finished but I didn't get any answers. I'll try it again when I can.

Susannah

Susannah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Am I going nuts...this is my third and last attempt to post a thank you for your quick response to my query...obviously I am doing something dopey...I hope this one flies.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Am I going nuts...this is my third and last attempt to post a thank you for your quick response to my query...obviously I am doing something dopey...I hope this one flies.

You are welcome :D
Did you try pressing the Tab key on boot up and if so what happened? Do you still get the American Megatrends window?

also learned that it could mean my hard drive will probably fail...or maybe the motherboard.

Where did you get this information from please?
If you post the make and model of the computer we can check if the SMART facility is available on your
system, if it is this should warn you if all is not right with the HDD.

Susannah

Susannah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, my computer is an Intel Pentium D Dual Core 820 CPU...I have my original invoice and the number on this is : S/N0.00043-730-064-837 I hope this is enough and what you require. I am a very nervous nelly when it comes to my computer,

I googled and one of the sites I found mentioned that it could be my hard drive...sorry I can't remember the site as it was a few days back.

This morning acting on your advice I hit the tab key when booting up and presto, no AM
Thank you again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi, sorry about the delay posting back.

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 820 CPU

Unfortunately this does not tell us anything about the HDD.

I googled and one of the sites I found mentioned that it could be my hard drive...sorry I can't remember the site as it was a few days back.

It is not important I was just curious what grounds the information was based on.

This morning acting on your advice I hit the tab key when booting up and presto, no AM

Good news, would you agree that the information you read suggesting HDD failure was inaccurate!
Back up your data as I suggested and then use the Samsung HDD diagnostic tool that you will find at the attached link http://www.samsung.c...port_in_es.html

Susannah

Susannah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for your help. The TAB key doesn't send AM packing anymore. I have backed up all my graphic files etc in my docs and will try the diagnostic thing later. I have a house full of overseas visitors right now. I find if I turn the computer off for a minute and then reboot AM is gone. I tell you the mere thought of trying something new sends me into a panic. Not good for an old lady. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You should not have to press the Tab key more than once, as in you do not need to do it every boot, pressing it once should disable it, pressing it again will re-enable it.

I have backed up all my graphic files etc in my docs

This needs to be done to another storage device such a USB thumb drive http://en.wikipedia....USB_flash_drive or by copying the data to a CD or DVD disk http://windows.micro...urn-a-CD-or-DVD there are other methods but these 2 are the easiest and most cost effective.

Susannah

Susannah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you again. After reading your last message i hit the tab key again and no AM. I'll leave it alone now. I have my stuff backed up on an exterior drive. Verbatim.
You are so very helpful and I do appreciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
All good news and thank you for the update :D

You are so very helpful and I do appreciate it

All done in the true spirit of GTG