Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

improve system performance?

• Please log in to reply

sikorsky 14

sikorsky 14

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
well i think im pretty clean from viruses etc, my system is running pretty fast, but i'd like to know if there are any ways i can improve my system performance even further.

my system specs:
gpu: HD Radeon 6850 Factory OC'ed
cpu: AMD Phenom || x4 970 BE proccessor
ram: 4gig

not that it actually needs the extra performance but i'd like to know anyway.
thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi sikorsky 14,
Maintaining optimum system performance is the key and doing this is not hard if done regularly.
1: Download and run Autoruns http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx Delete anything that says File Not Found.
2: Download and run TFC by OldTimer http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 if the computer does not auto boot on completion restart the computer manually.
3: Defrag your HDD/s weekly, you can use the system scheduler to do this or do it manually when you are not planning on using the computer for a couple of hours.

well i think im pretty clean from viruses etc

You need to be 100% certain that you are, see below;

If you suspect your system may have a malware issue I suggest you check out the self help guide at the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ if after following the guide you believe your system may still be infected you need to start a new topic there and not post any malware logs on this forum as they are not used here.

sikorsky 14

sikorsky 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
alright thanks i cleaned my temp files and ran autoruns and deleted about 4 files that said "file not found" do you know any other ways?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Apart from the defrag not really with removing unused programs being just about the only other thing.
What AV software do you have? Norton and AVG slow down your system as they are demanding on system resources, Avast (free) is a better option.
Do not be tempted to use Registry Cleaners or Speed Boosters to improve system performance, they can cause more harm than good.

sikorsky 14

sikorsky 14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
alright and i heard that avg is one of the lightest anti-viruses out there from alot of people and to avoid norton, i use ESET NOD32