Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC thinks mouse is constantly left-clicked

• Please log in to reply

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have a very strange problem which I've no idea how to solve. I turned on my PC yesterday to find that my USB mouse wouldn't let me left-click as it thinks it's constantly pressed already. Moving the pointer around the desktop shows the blue selection box as if I'm clicking and dragging even when I'm not. It then randomly creates a new selection box as if the left button was unpressed for a moment.

I checked the connection and tried it in 2 other USB ports and had the same problem so i uninstalled the drivers and rebooted but this didn't solve the problem.

So next i took out the mouse thinking it must be broke (even though it's only a few months old) and put in an old mouse with a serial connection only to find that this is having almost the same issue also. The difference is this one doesn't think it's left button is in-pressed always. It acts normally then randomly every few seconds it acts like it's just been clicked.

I did a virus scan and found one, got rid of it but this didn't help the problem (and I've no guarantee this virus was even related to the mouse problem) and i did a system restore. NOTHING HAS WORKED.

My biggest annoyance is i literally don't know what could be causing this. I use my computer daily to earn a living so please someone help as i need to fix this ASAP!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
We are going to need some more info on the computer.

Is it a laptop or desktop?
What is the make and model?
Dell, HP, home built?
What is the OS?
How much ram (memory)?
Did you make any changes prior to the problem?
Add any hardware or software?

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
Motherboard: MSI MS-7380 nForce 750i
Mem: 4GB
Video: 1GB GeForce GTS 250 (BFG Tech)
Power Supply: Corsair 700w
USB Mouse: Sharkoon Fireglider Black (Rush Series)
Home built Desktop

I've had some progress. I undid a registry clean that i performed a few days ago and the usb mouse SEEMS to be ok now though the serial mouse still has issues. Not a problem since i use the USB mouse but it doesn't indicate there's still something wrong somewhere so could be a problem in the near future so still could do with ideas for what could solve the issue.

Update: Not working properly again. Need a fix ASAP or I'll have to reinstall windows tomorrow

Edited by hypnoticstate, 03 April 2011 - 08:24 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Home built Desktop

I've had some progress. I undid a registry clean that i performed a few days ago and the usb mouse SEEMS to be ok now though the serial mouse still has issues. Not a problem since i use the USB mouse but it doesn't indicate there's still something wrong somewhere so could be a problem in the near future so still could do with ideas for what could solve the issue.

Update: Not working properly again. Need a fix ASAP or I'll have to reinstall windows tomorrow

That will cause issues.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

There are no miracle cures for cleaning the registry. They do not need it. The registry is the heart of the system. Mess it up and you will have problems even to the point of a completely dead hard drive (no booting).

I do not know windows 7, but I suspect we may have to do something like we do in XP with verifying and replaceing system files.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Home built Desktop

That will cause issues.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

There are no miracle cures for cleaning the registry. They do not need it. The registry is the heart of the system. Mess it up and you will have problems even to the point of a completely dead hard drive (no booting).

I do not know windows 7, but I suspect we may have to do something like we do in XP with verifying and replaceing system files.

How is this done? Do you think it may be worth using my windows disc to do a repair?

Update: Never mind. Verified system files and all are ok.

Edited by hypnoticstate, 03 April 2011 - 09:33 AM.

hypnoticstate

hypnoticstate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
final request for help. Going to have to reinstall windows in the morning if i dont find a solution soon.