Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware Bytes Scan Locked Me Out - Google Redirect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK what is the make and model of the computer - I should be able to find out from that :D

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

rsean

rsean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thank you...

The machine is an HP xw4400 Workstation.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It looks like you may need SATA drivers - I have found some for your system in the attached file. I will need a Techs assistance to determine how to install them. So bear with me please

[attachment=49466:sp36131.zip]

Extract the programme and on another computer burn them to a CD

As soon as I get the next step I will pass it on

rsean

rsean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Burned the CD...will await further instruction.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As soon as the tech gets back I will be with you - It appears that you may need these SATA drivers to get windows to recognise your drive

If you could run the exe file in the zip it will ask for a floppy/CD to burn the files to

Then when you try to repair install windows at some point it will ask if disc drivers are required Press F6
Press F6 and see if it will accept the drivers on the disc and continue with the repair

The tech was talking about slipstreaming the drivers into your windows installation.... Now I did that many years ago and have forgotten how I did it :)

rsean

rsean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok, bear with me.

I'm not getting exactly what the steps are here. I know, I can hear you say, "another rookie!"

I downloaded the exe file to my desktop on an uninfected computer and then burned it to a cd.

It seems like you're saying, run the exe file that is on the uninfected computer at which point I will be asked "for a floppy/CD to burn the files to". Definitely different than what I did.

I want to double check this as I don't want to execute the file on the uninfected computer...?

Also, we are not ready to go into a repair install yet as we are waiting on the tech...right?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep after some discussions :

Get the file tyou downloaded and run it on an uninfected computer, once it starts running it will ask for a floppy/cd location. Point it to your CD drive and burn the files there

Then start to do a repair install of windows on the infected systemas previous.. At an early stage you will see press F6 to install drivers appear
Press F6 then insert the CD for windows to read from - this will then load the necessary hard disc drivers to allow the install to complete

rsean

rsean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
This was a bit choppy...

Did as instructed and got to "press F6". Once there, by the time I have inserted the driver disk I get a prompt at the bottom to press F2 for automated system recovery and then very shortly thereafter, the blue screen prompt to insert "Windows XP Pro SP2 cd into drive A: and press Enter when ready".

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Has windows loaded or at we still at the same state ?

rsean

rsean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Sorry for not being more clear...we are at the same state.

Our approach was stopped by the SP2 prompt.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The only other alteranative I can see at the moment is a parallel install. This will be where you install a fresh version of windows - whilst retaining the old one. Is the disc partitioned ?

rsean

rsean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hmmm...how would I check to see if the disk is partitioned without having access to Windows?

Also, does a parallel allow us to view the files resident on the hard drive? I don't won't to lose that!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Did you have a C and a D drive - or was it just C ?