Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netbook won't boot - BLACK SCREEN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

the*berrys

the*berrys

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron Mini Netbook that was working fine... Avast detected a Malware the other night and tried to open it in the Sandbox but it got stuck and hung. Eventually it crashed and closed down Avast. I disconnected from the net, restarted Avast, re-scanned and deleted the virus. All seemed to be OK. Now laptop won't start. Black screen of death with flashing cursor top left.

Won't let me type DOS commands but can get into F2 Set up and F12 startup options

It has no CD ROM and no recovery discs (obviously)

any help gratefully received

Edited by the*berrys, 03 April 2011 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hello the*berrys and welcome to G2G!

My name is Cold Titanium :D , and I will be assisting you with your problem. I am still in training, so all my replies need to be checked by an expert first. So there may be a slight delay in between replies.

Please follow all of my instructions without skipping anything. Also, please refrain from experimenting around whilst I am helping you. At times some of the things I tell you to do may seem unnecessary and frustrating, but just stick to it and we'll get through :D

:D Note: Please save these instructions in a file or print them out, as the internet may not be available while we are fixing the system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have a flash-drive and a clean computer that you can use?

the*berrys

the*berrys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a desktop PC that is fine and a USB memory stick - is that what you mean?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Yes that's what I meant. Excellent, I'm clearing my fix now. :D

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Step #1

First we need to create a bootable flash-drive

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from the following link and save it to your Desktop: mirror1.
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image

• Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image

• Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image

• Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step #2

Now we boot off the USB drive and scan with OTLPE

• Copy this to the flash drive: Attached File  scan.txt   892bytes   416 downloads
  • Shutdown the infected computer
  • Insert the OTLPE FlashDrive
  • Boot the computer
  • Press F2 at the Dell Boot Screen to enter the BIOS
  • It may look a little different, but look for a Boot Order tab or option
  • Change the Boot Order to boot from USB first
  • Now restart the machine.
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Drag and drop scan.txt into the Custom scans and fixes box
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

Edited by Cold Titanium, 04 April 2011 - 11:42 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.