Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

taskbar not displaying opened application

• Please log in to reply

asurada2928

asurada2928

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi guys
i am new to the forum and has a problem with my taskbar

the taskbar won't display any application that i have opened
even though i can jump from 1 to another using alt tab
start button and clock witht he system tray is all funcational

tried some things to get it working.. all failed
(restart comp... close explorer.exe and restart it)
but when i opened a new account for xp login, the new one has no problem displaying the apps opened.. so i dun think its corrupted explorer.exe

so any suggestions..?
thanks

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Take a look at this: (only thing i can find right now)

http://answers.googl...dview?id=506462

asurada2928

asurada2928

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oh.. thanks
ill take a look at that.. and get back to you

and.. any more suggestions..?

asurada2928

asurada2928

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump...

its not working.. XD
any other suggestions..?

mightwing

mightwing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'v got this same problem a few days ago. After a couple of days' struggling : re-install the OS, scan the whole harddisc using anti-virus software, etc...Finally I'v made it solved. The cause of this problem is still not clearly understood by me, although most likely due to Trojan spyware, since one of the software I used reported 2 Trojan infections. The pain is that even if after I have removed the infected files, the taskbar simply cannot be recovered, re-installing doesn't work.

Ok, to make it short, here is the way I solved my problem:
1. open regedit, go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer], find the key Streams, delete it. CLose the regestry.

2. open task manager by ALT+CTRL+DEL, under processes, find "Explorer.exe" and end it. [This step is essential]

3. in task manager, File-> new task, type Explorer, a new explorer pop up with new taskbar, and your opened windows are now visible!

You may need to reconfigure a bit about your taskbar, e.g to make the quick launch visible, etc....

IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU, DO THE FOLLOWING:
in step one, instead of deleting the key "Streams", delete "Explorer" entirely, or simply rename it to , eg, Explorer.old.

step 2 and 3 are the same. But this case you may loose more configurations for your explorer and desktop settings as they would go back to factory default.

Anyway , for the purpose of showing opened programs in the taskbar, It should work.

Good luck!