Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about dongle for monitor.

• Please log in to reply

vjp221

vjp221

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was looking to buy a cheap computer off of ebay and I found this one dell Optiplex Gx620. In a review I read though it says Dongle required for monitor connectivity (even single monitor). I'm not even actually sure what a dongle is. What does this mean? Can I use my sharp monitor that I have with this computer or does this mean I need to use a dell monitor?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
They are probably referring to the DVI to VGA adapter. What brand / model of monitor do you currently have? Can you provide me with the specs of the Dell's video card, such as brand and model number?

vjp221

vjp221

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The monitor I have is sharp LL171MU LCD TV monitor. The specs for the Gx620 says it has and ATI Radeon x600. Somebody's going to give me there old radeon 9550 card though so I'll probably use that instead of the onboard one.

vjp221

vjp221

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I can forget about using the radeon 9550 because there's no vga slot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
There are 4 different model/case size versions of the GX620 and they have different motherboards, which model is yours?
Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX620 Systems
Mini Tower Computer
Desktop Computer
Small Form Factor Computer
Ultra Small Form Factor Computer

Well I can forget about using the radeon 9550 because there's no vga slot

Do you mean no AGP slot?
http://www.amd.com/u...ifications.aspx

vjp221

vjp221

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its the desktop and yeah I meant no AGP slot.