Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Build - Video Problem

• Please log in to reply

stratzilla

stratzilla

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I was hoping someone here could help me. I am building a new PC. Here some key components:

MB - Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3-P67 R
CPU - i7 2600K
Video Card - MSI Geforce N450GTS (1 GB)
Memory - Mushkin Blackline
PS - Corsair CX600 (600W)
Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler

If you need more specs let me know, but I think that will enough for this issue.

My problem is the video card does not seem to be working. The fan isn't running and I'm getting no output to my monitor. The computer powers on, as it should. All case fans are running.

Things I've tried:
Moved card to another PCI-E slot.
Replaced card with another from a different computer that I know works.
I have plugged a cable (6 pin) direct from my PS to card. Also tried a 6 pin to molex "y" cable.
This card has a fan cable, I have confirmed it is plugged in.
I know my monitor and cable work.

So - I don't know what else to try. I'm hoping someone will think of something obvious that I have not. Also - this is my first build, although I have a lot of upgrading and overall computer geek experience.

Could my motherboard be bad??

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
Hi stratzilla :D
The fact that the fan on the card is not working suggests that it is the card or the power supply to the card.
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, GFX card, the keyboard and 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape to do this, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

stratzilla

stratzilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your advice. I was all set to do that when I tried (one more time) my old video card (a 6300, I think) and it worked. All I can figure is the first time it wasn't seated well. So, I swapped it and my new 450 gts back and forth a few times. The verdict is I have a DOA video card. I have already arranged the RMA.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
You are welcome, not an ideal resolution but it is better for the card to be DOA than
for it to fail in use, better luck with the replacement.