Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Fails to load: STOP 0x7B; HAL.dll; other

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

As far as I'm concerned this is going to be a "Cut the red wire" . . . ."NO, CUT THE ---" type of process!

I hope you realize that there are tens of thousands of different makes and models of computers each with different hardware and software and operator skills or lack thereof and that if your computer was setting on my bench I would be able to fix it...so please don't get a attitude as I do this for a living at $45.00 per hour and I donate my time and expertise here for free...all I ask is you to be courteous

Advertisements

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey, Man - how could I possibly intend to offend you, after all the time you've spent on this problem? I cannot believe you've never seen the classic film scene wherein Bruce Willis or Sly Stallone is straddling a bomb with his side-cutters in his hand and wondering which wire to cut! I was making a joke of my ignorance (OK - a pretty weak one!). So - thanks again for your help - the recovery begins tomorrow.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
no sweat... :D

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi happyrock! If you lose patience with this problem (& this jockey) I shall quite understand.

Thinking back - the machine failed after I received a popup ad stating I had malware and "They" listed some system EXEs which were affected and offered software to sort it. I shut down immediately. Restarting I found some EXEs failed ("CCleaner" wouldn't run). In the startup list I found a line starting a name which was just a digit string. I restarted and searched (this ran OK) for that string - found the file in a temp & deleted it. Ran a reg cleaner & shut down. The machine has not started from HDD since.
Proceeding as you advise, I find the following:

1. Puppy Linux loads and can mount USB-sticks & USB-drives and most of the computer's hdd but it cannot mount C:. It copies files OK from "D:" to the USB drive & back.

2. DOS can access C: & D:. All C:'s stuff is in place & I can read text files etc. D: should show about 4 GB as "D:" and 24GB as "E:" - which it doesn't - just 27GB for D:.
Of course there's the 8.3 filename problem with DOS.

The busted machine's HDD is 58GB FAT32, the USB's is 70GB NTFS (I'm not sure about E:)
It should be possible to pipe the whole lot across and re-format. But maybe all that's wrong is that some residual malware is redirecting the startup process.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

if your still having issues after the malware pros give you a all clean...come back here and we will see if we can get it straightened out out

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for that suggestion, happyrock. I had thought one can only hunt malware on a running machine. I'll be back.
Cheers!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are several versions of rescue cds...you boot from the cd and clean the system...they actually work pretty good because both windows and the malware are sleeping and can't fight back...

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for staying in touch. I've got the AVG malware gear on a stick and, forgetting I still had the Puppy CD in the drive, ruined it since I'd not closed it against "Write" ops. So you're up against a bit of incompetence here.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't worry about it ...we ALL make mistakes...
and there really wasn't any harm done...you just have to burn another copy of puppy

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello! The AVG code ran to a finish in 3hrs&23min no malware, one warning about a corupted certificate on a PDF viewer. So back to the XP load. After many days avoiding it I tried booting from the hard drive. I got "WIN 98" C: drive immediately, but in a reduced DOS environment wich I don't understand. DIR and CD gave access to all the Dirs and files on C: but I could not run anything (no edit, chkdsk /f failed, needing windows etc.) I tried an install using the six-floppy XP home but, after the "Starting Windows XP" message I got the original "STOP 7B" fail. I'm sure the filestore is still intact.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...start a new topic...tell them I sent you and give them a link to this thread

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello! Sorry to be tiresome but that link is to the malware removal area. The AVG scan was clean (although I actually subscribe to AVG - running "Avira professional" so the machine should be "Clean" as far as AVG is concerned but still infected). Do you still suspect malware?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you would rather skip the malware removal forum...use puppy to get all the data backed up...then borrow a retail xp cd from a friend or coworker and do the repair

lordoxford

lordoxford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Puppy mounts D: & E: and the USB drive but not C: wherein all the goodies reside.
DOS reads & writes to C: but ignores the USB disk (and only handles files in 8.3 naming) so getting all my data off's a bit of a prob.
My AVG "AVIRA Professional" allowed that scam to get through even though I sent them a complete log of an earlier infestation of the same code which I hand-sorted and flushed out. Hence my recognising it the second time it appeared. So I'm not so happy with AVG at present.

OK I'll pop over to your mates at malware.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there is no such thing as My AVG "AVIRA Professional"...
its either AVG or AVIRA