Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb ports inoperative

• Please log in to reply

G. Pickett

G. Pickett

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After an accident broke one of the usb ports on my laptop, (Compaq Presario cq260-202US. Since that time none of my usb ports work. However the card slot works. I have redone as many software things that I could up to and including a complete restore. The device manager says they are all working fine. But, they are not. I have been told that this may require replacing the mother board, is this true? Any info or help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If someone who has actually seen the computer and had it in their hand states that you need a new motherboard, and that person has some knowledge, then I would think they are very probably correct.

Device Manager only sees the device and the driver. It cannot see, as such a broken connection of some sort to the motherboard.

ALSO do you mean the cq260 because I could not find that anywhere - what I did find was the CQ60-202US
and that tells me
External Ports
  • 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 - if those ports are next to each other then damage to one will very likely have stopped them all working.
  • 1 Headphone out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
If I do have the correct computer here is the link to the Compaq site
http://h10025.www1.h...n&lang=en&cc=us

I do not, on the information you have posted think there is a lot further I can say.
WHAT was the damage - perhaps that would help.

G. Pickett

G. Pickett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, it is the CQ60, Thanks for the info. What happened was the computer fell maybe 8 inches and landed on a usb cable plugged into the rear port on the right side. This broke the plastic divider mounted horizontally inside the port. Most likely at that time the lower contacts contacted and shorted out the port. No one has looked at it yet, except myself. Do you think that seperating those contacts with some sort of insulator would after a reboot possibly re-activate the other two ports?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From what you say, I think it is a lost cause.
Unless you can find a friend who has the knowledge to take out the motherboard and repair whatever is necessary.
Even the cost of a NEW motherboard, put into that laptop would make it an uneconomical exercise. at retail costs.

When you ask will this - separating the contacts etc. work - - well that depends. If they are still shorted - it may do. My guess is that the ground pin has shorted with the live pin and the whole motherboard USB header circuit as gone. OR the connection to the PCB of the motherboard has broken.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2011 - 07:24 AM.

G. Pickett

G. Pickett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, Had to ask.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are more than welcome, that is why we work here, because we enjoy helping.

G. Pickett

G. Pickett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Believe me sir I appreciate your time and efforts. Thank you again.