Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard Problem?

• Please log in to reply

justmelarryd

justmelarryd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
computer will not start up. fan comes on for about 5 seconds then stops. repeats this process repeatedly and never boots. Changed power supply with a new one, same thing. Guessing motherboard??? Can anyone tell me if this is right?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Some system specs would help a lot.
Name brand or custom build
If name brand what make and mode
If custom build what make and model on the motherboard.
Has this been going since the first day of getting the system or just recently started?
Did you upgrade and drivers, hardware or software just before this started?
Did you download anything from the internet just before it started and if so what and where did you download it from?

justmelarryd

justmelarryd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's an ACER AX1200 stock computer. I have reloaded Windows on it in the past but nothing recent. I was using it one day, shut it down normally and left. When my girlfriend started to turn it on that evening is when this started. It has an AMD Sempron 2300 processor on a DA078L Boxer board. I've heard these aren't the most reliable boards in the past, but have not had any hardware problems with this computer since I bought it. I use a good anti-virus program (Avast) and have never had one get past it. We don't go to questionable sites anyway. Just use for bill paying, etc, light surfing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The PSU you replaced is at least the same wattage if not more then the original?

Is there still a warranty on the system?
Seems to be a common issue with the MOBO just all of a sudden dying.
If there is still a warranty in effect I would contact Acer for a replacement MOBO.
If not we can try to locate a replacement MOBO that is a lot more reliable.

justmelarryd

justmelarryd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No warranty left, its several years old. I was guessing it was most likely a MOBO problem. Yes the other PSU was 500W, plenty since the original is only 200. Thanks for the help, I will probably do a complete upgrade, MOBO and CPU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will most likely being looking at:
  • Mobo
  • CPU
  • Memory

Most newer boards will use DDR3 memory which is faster then the DDR or DDR2 memory from 5 years ago.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would pull all but one stick of RAM and try that. If it still refuses to boot, swap sticks again until you run through the sticks. Disconnect everything else not needed (extra drives, USB devices, etc.) while testing.

You will most likely being looking at:

• Mobo
• CPU
• Memory

Note a new motherboard will require a new OS license too. And if 5 years old, it probably has EIDE drives, so new drives as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree try the memory steps first just to make sure. :D

Note a new motherboard will require a new OS license too. And if 5 years old, it probably has EIDE drives, so new drives as well.

I have had to replace a motherboard before and in my personal experience have found Microsoft to be very understanding on this circumstance.
Depending on the amount of IDE devices there is usually a dual IDE controller on the newer boards also.
If it comes down to changing all that it may be smarter to custom build a newer system and upgrade to Win7. Then use the older HD as a secondary data drive if possible.

justmelarryd

justmelarryd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yea I tried pulling the memory sticks and all extra accessories as well first. But thanks. My thought process also tells me to just build a new custom puter as I already have 2 new towers with 500W PSU installed. Was planning on building a couple new ones to sell anyway, so will probably do so and just keep one. This was just one my daughter used alot anyway. I have some computer knowledge, just wanted a 2nd opinion and as suspected, got good advice from you guys who do this more frequently than me. You're advice is very much appreciated. Kuddos to all of you.

justmelarryd

justmelarryd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dont have anything left that is EIDE. Everything I own now is SATA THX

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah then you would need to do a fresh install with the main drive I'm sure. The drivers for the old system may not allow the system to boot when put in a new system.
Also if you need some help with building a new system you might try this tutorial HERE written by one of GTG's own Tech Staff. Hands down one of if not the best tutorial I have ever seen.