Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Installing From CD-ROM :S

• Please log in to reply

nima11

nima11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Pretty much i have a pretty old computer - toshiba satellite pro A60IT and its designed for windows xp, however it had windows vista basic on it.

Everytime i tried to install windows xp it would say this is not possible due to windows vista being a later version and blocking the start up so i went to the BIOS and told it to boot from CD-ROM.

Currently, I have no OS on the computer and just 38147MB of free space so i just used that to install XP on, it starts going through the setup and file copying, but here is the problem - it says that it will continue the installation when it restarts, but instead it just boots up from the CD-ROM when it restarts...

What must I do, please help? :S

Edited by nima11, 05 April 2011 - 07:26 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go back to BIOS make the hard drive the first boot device and the CD the second boot device.
When you the boot it will not find a MBR on the hard drive, so it will then search and find the XP CD which is a bootable device.
You then install and when it then restarts at the point where it boots from the hard drive, it will do so.

OR just try this first
15. When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key. If CD boots anyway, remove CD and reboot

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2011 - 07:48 AM.

nima11

nima11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks! it worked :D

nima11

nima11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Would you mind kindly directing me where I would go to be able to download all the drivers for the computer since i cant connect wirelessly to the router since i haven't installed the driver except im not sure what the driver is im looking for, so is there some sort of site i can go to download all the drivers in 1 pack?

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Here's the driver page from Toshiba:

http://uk.computers....ountry=8&page=1

I hope you can get to it from this link.

nima11

nima11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thankyou very much!

Sorry for all the questions, but this will be my last one - promise :D

What is the driver called which let me find wireless networks through the computer?

Much appreciated, once again thanks :D

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
you want the "Wireless Lan Driver" No problem with the questions, that's what we're here for.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
While you are on that link provided by gorham
you would be well advised to obtain the latest updates for all your drivers on that model.

DO NOT download the BIOS update.
Never flash the BIOS on a working computer - generally speaking - it can go horribly wrong.