Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word 2007

• Please log in to reply

sheps

sheps

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello all.

I am trying to open a 'microsoft word document:(.docx) and i get this message:-
"The Office Open XML file cannot be opened because there are problems with the content"
It then says there is unreadable content in the file, and asks if I want it repaired and do I trust the source. To which I say yes, but it still can't open the document.
I used this document the other day and all was fine. I closed it and saved it in the usual manner. I went to add more info in this file today, and I can't retrieve it.

Please tell me the file is not lost for good, and that there is a way to open it again.

Thanks.

Sheps

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Which is it, a Word document or an OpenOffice document? Can you zip the file and attach it here if there is no sensitive content in it?

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello.

This was a word document and always has been. I have been in correspondence with a person about my property for over a year now, and have always, after a letter to him saved the changes in the normal way. Now this problem has occurred.
If you need the whole file, and I can paste it here I will.

Thanks.

Sheps

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again AstraNut,

Yesterday I tried to insert this problem word 2007 document into Lotus Word Pro. It saved the file, but when I opened the file it was one of my spreadsheet files, and no letters at all.
I worked on the word file a few days ago and it was fine. As I said before, I closed the file, it asked "do you want to save the changes", I click yes.
A few hours later, I did open the spreadsheet file, which is a 'Lotus 1.2.3' file, worked on it and saved the changes in the same way. By the way, I have checked the spreadsheet 1.2.3. file again and it is fine.
It looks now like the spreadsheet is on the word file, and that is why word can't read the file, but how?

I'd better not put the file on here, because it does have personal info on there. Being letters it has my name and address etc.as well as other info certain people could use.

I Look forward to your reply.

Sheps.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello sheps:

Could you please let us know the extension of subject file, and for sure don't ever post any personal information on Public Forum

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again,

If I right click the file and go to 'properties'it tells me that the
file type is:- Microsoft Office Word Document (.docx)
Opens with:- Microsoft Office Word.

Hope that will help.

Sheps

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Sheps:

Hope you do have Microsoft Office 2007 installed on the system where you are trying to open this file! Could you please post the exact error message or post a screenshot?

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi.

Yes I do have Microsoft Office 2007 on both my computers, and the same messages occurs on both computers when I try to open this file.
The message is as first question:-
"The Office Open XML file cannot be opened because there are problems with the content"
Click details and the message says "The file is currupt and cannot be opened"
It then says "Word found unreadable content in the file. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click yes.". I click yes, but nothing happens.

The strange thing is, I don't have 'Open Office' on my computer.
Should I download it, and see if the file will open with that?

Sheps

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello sheps:

My apologies, I haven't used Open Office so I can't comment, though it is compatible. I would suggest you should not use this file (original) trying to open in various application as it may further damage it, instead make a folder and copy/paste this file (or to a different location) that could be used for testing, in the meantime please let me know if viewing of extensions for known file types is enabled? There are couple of things that we could try to recover!

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Rediah,

There is a tick in the box that says 'Hide extensions for known file types' So I assume that they are not enabled.

Thanks.
Glenn.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello sheps:

One more question before a possible solution - What version of Windows are you using?

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Rediah,

I'm using Windows 7.

Thanks.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi sheps:

First let's give a shot to this:
  • Create a new folder anywhere and Copy/Paste your original file (we don't want to mess-up with original)
  • Right-click on this new file then click properties, by default General tab should be active
    Posted Image
  • Activate Previous Versions tab
    Posted Image
    On this tab click the link How do I use previous versions?"
    Follow onscreen instructions
Please let me know if this helps otherwise we will try something different

sheps

sheps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello Rediah,
Nothing helping.

It says "There are no previous versions available"

On my desk top I am using Windows XP, there is no 'previous versions', so I thought I;d try to convert the file to PDF, the same message comes up
"The Office Open XML file cannot be opened because there are problems with the content". Then another programme starts that says it is a 'Debugger'
"WordTempDDEMod" from Microsoft Visual Basic.
I can't open it with 'Notepad' or 'Wordpad' either.
Over to you.

Glenn.