Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shared Computer Questions

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I was contacted through a friend by a non-profit that helps female crime victims get back on their feet. I guess most of them are / were single mothers that have left abusive relationships and are trying to get back into the job market. They have 7 or 8 donated computers that will be set up in a computer lab for the women to use while searching for jobs and to learn general computer skills. Apparently being a non-profit, they don't have an IT department.

I volunteered to clean the donated computers and teach a general computer skills class once a week. I'm more than capable of cleaning them up and teaching the class, but was wondering about some type of shared computer software. I remember years ago when I was taking a class on Statistical Process Control, that their laptops were set up with software that would clear all user changes following a reboot.

Is there any such free software out there I can use to do something similar? I remember seeing the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit a couple years back, but don't know much about its use and can't seem to find a download location. I just don't want to be cleaning these computers every week. :D

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Spyderturbo007

I do not know of that software you mention.

I am a little hesistant to suggest such a simple approach as I have seen you around on the site and know that you will know exactly how to do this, but just in case you have overlooked it

Whichever browser it is IE or Firefox has settings to delete browsing history on exit and not store cookies.

Then Task Scheduler can of course be set to run DiskCleanup as you wish and Disk Defrag as you wish.

Would that not suiffice, just to save you most of the work.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2011 - 11:40 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster, you are correct, I am familiar with those things. Here is a little information on the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit, which used to be available for download but seems to have been pulled.

I especially liked the Windows Disk Protection that reversed all changes following a system restart.