Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard, random shut downs?

• Please log in to reply

akhilnutakki

akhilnutakki

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed a new mo-board and my computer now randomly shuts down. ..after installing the new mo-board I didn't install a fresh copy of windows. ...My cousin says that is most likely my problem.. The new moboard is the same chipset as the old. Is it possible that the random computer crashes are related to me not installing a fresh copy of windows. Also, the hardware monitor that came with the mo-board is saying that my Vcore is only ~ 1.3 volts when it should be about 1.8 Volts..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Do you mean you took the harddrive from the old motherboard and put it into the new motherboard?

Make sure if you do somthing like this that the new motherboard is the exact same one with the exact same model and any revisions.

as for the voltage you are reading.....where are you getting this spec? Does it say that the voltage should be 1.8v in the motherboard manual?

akhilnutakki

akhilnutakki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I replaced the motherboard. So, everything is now connected to it...not just the old harddrive.. THe new motherboard is a SOYO-PT something and the old one was a MSI.

Actually, I think I need to update my BIOS.

Thanks though..

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Did you put any new memory on the new motherboard?
If you have, that might be the problem. The different memoryspeeds may not like eachother and knock your system down.

bond4

bond4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you checked your hard drive ?

I had a similar problem and I changed everything and it turned out to be my hard drive. It was a samsung spinpoint hard drive that was four months old