Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-ROM freezes PC but works in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The reason you cannot find it is because that inspiron laptop did not sell with that broadcom wireless card installed - at least not in the UK or the USA.
Go device manager
Network adaptors
on the wireless network what is listed pls.

Or control panel network connections - what is shown there for wireless.
Both will produce the same result.
I take it you do mean an internal card

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Forgive my ignorance, what is an event viewer log?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The post I sent you earlier has the full instructions.
My post 12.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2011 - 07:27 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off shortly as it is 0237hrs in the UK

If you are using IE go start, programs, accessories, system tools and start Internet Explorer from there - that is IE No add-ons.
When IE opens ignore the messages regarding add-ons and simply continue to the home page.
Does it now connect and does the DVD work.

If you are using Firefox go start, programs, Mozilla and there you will see Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode start from there and try the same.

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK please open My Computer, right click the hard drive - carrying Windows, C drive most likely
Click Properties, Click Tools, Click error checking, click check now and click to check both boxes.
File system errors and the scan for and attempt recovery of data from bad sectors.
Click Start. Agree to run on restart and so so.
That is a five stage check pls do not interrupt it.
It will take sometime.
When the computer reboots go Control Panel, administrative tools, event viewer and lcik application on left pane.
In the main window scroll to the first winlogon entry from the top
Double click and that will be the chkdsk results.
If you feel you need to post them.
On the right hanmd side are an up and a down arrow
Below that is a page symbol
Click once - left click on that and then right click on the message box on your reply post.

If that does not work and the problem started ONLY recently you may consider a system restore to apoint before the problem.
HOWEVER please be aware that you will lose everything that has been altered, added to by way of personal files and any downloads SINCE that restore point so if you have anything important save it first.

There are no guarantees that this will correct the issue.
If it has been going for too long you may not have a system restore point to use.

If you decide to try this that is Start, Programs Accessories, System Tools, System restore.
When that opens you have two choices offered
1. Create a restore point and
2. Restore my Computer to an earlier time.
Then if you KNOW when the problem first occurred click on the calendar for a bold date before that.

Good luck I will pick the thread up again about 1800 Uk time./

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2011 - 08:02 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Here is the event viewer log.

Upon looking at the device manager for the Network Adaptors here is what I found:

1394 Network Adaptor #3

3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

All of these show no warning symbol.

I uninstalled the network adaptors, and when I tried to sign on my network it says Acquiring network address
(WPA2 security enabled wireless network). I went ahead and tried to run the internet in Firefox with no-addons and the internet worked even though it still says acquiring network address.

Thank you so much for your time I greatly appreciate what you are doing. I await your response for tommorow.

Also I did not have system restore turned on so I do not have a restore point.

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   3.44KB   147 downloads

Edited by andydude00, 05 April 2011 - 08:12 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off NOW but in view of my quick look at the event log
It is ONLY for today would you pls send me another as I outlined on my post for the previous five days.
This will give me a better idea.
This time could you please copy and paste the opened log.
IF it is very long, please compare with the one you sent me and establish if anything different is shown to that one which has DCOM error, Hard drive controller error and a network device error.
Then post the days logs that have different errors on.

At this time a quick examination appears to suggest , this may be more than just a driver issue.

Have you installed any new programs, or connected any new hardware - to the laptop.

Please do not think I am being critical - but could you tell me if system restore was turned off for a reason. - ie: a problem etc.

I am not saying that this will develop into something of a greater problem, but if there is any valuable data on that computer I would secure it now to an external drive or usb flash pen trnaferred then to another computer.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2011 - 08:18 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I tried to get an event log for the past 5 days but the log came back empty. I tried for 3 days and 4 days the result was the same. When I typed in the number of event box it worked again, but nothing was new.

I uninstalled the network adaptors again, and deleted the password to my internet connection. I retyped it in, and the wireless connection is working fully.

I have recently installed Belarc Advisor, Microsoft Essentials Antivirus, CCleaner, R-Wipe&Clean, Malwarebytes, and Revo Uninstaller. I installed these items to see if there was a virus in my machine, find out the component information to try to find a solution to my problem.

I do not know why the system restore was shut off. I received this laptop as a gift a couple of months ago. Everything worked fine until I tried to play a music cd (the first time I used the dvd-rom).

Once again thank you for all of your time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have had a look at that RWipeandClean
http://www.r-wipe.com/

I was not familiar with that particular program
I see that it includes this
Clean system Registry traces, such as the run list, search results, mapped network drives, attached peripheral devices, and the last opened Registry key.

and also includes a wipe of other records including the events records and that is why there are none before that date.
I also see that you can have this running on every shutdowm
If you have please stop it., as this will seriously hamper our efforts to find the cause.

Personally I would not use the program, on a well maintained computer it is unnecessary.

I also see you have CCleaner
We no longer recommend this on GeekstoGo
It is in itself an excellent utility, but it includes a registry cleaner. NO program of any sort that is gievn control of the registry from the point of view of cleaning it, defragging ti etc, should be used.
IF YOU are going to use CCleaner YOU MUST ENSURE that the registry item is UNCHECKED before you run the program.

You say you installed these and other items for a number of reasons.
Did you run this RWipeandClean BEFORE this problem occurred.

Everything worked fine until I tried to play a music cd (the first time I used the dvd-rom).

AND is it possible to check with the previous owner if this problem existed BEFORE

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
DO THIS PLEASE FROM MY PREVIOUS POST

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK please open My Computer, right click the hard drive - carrying Windows, C drive most likely
Click Properties, Click Tools, Click error checking, click check now and click to check both boxes.
File system errors and the scan for and attempt recovery of data from bad sectors.
Click Start. Agree to run on restart and so so.
That is a five stage check pls do not interrupt it.
It will take sometime.
When the computer reboots go Control Panel, administrative tools, event viewer and click application on left pane.
In the main window scroll to the first winlogon entry from the top
Double click and that will be the chkdsk results.
If you feel you need to post them.
On the right hand side are an up and a down arrow
Below that is a page symbol
Click once - left click on that and then right click on the message box on your reply post.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 April 2011 - 02:28 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I will uninstall both r-wipe, and ccleaner from my pc.

I did not have either of those programs before I had the issue.

The previous owner was someone who I am not in contact with any longer, so it is not possible for me to speak to them.

Here is my Event Viewer Log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/6/2011
Time: 1:53:53 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DELL8200R
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up 1116 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1116 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1116 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

39029917 KB total disk space.
10852428 KB in 45377 files.
14144 KB in 3391 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
164261 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
27999084 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9757479 total allocation units on disk.
6999771 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
20 51 01 00 8c be 00 00 c5 db 00 00 00 00 00 00 Q..............
44 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 95 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 D...............
a0 2c 60 02 00 00 00 00 10 ac 1d 23 00 00 00 00 .,`........#....
b0 aa c8 16 00 00 00 00 70 4a f1 8a 02 00 00 00 ........pJ......
60 86 15 d5 02 00 00 00 50 ed ee a4 05 00 00 00 `.......P.......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 f8 38 07 00 41 b1 00 00 ..6......8..A...
00 00 00 00 00 30 61 96 02 00 00 00 3f 0d 00 00 .....0a.....?...

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1, Please turn on system restore.
That is Start, right click My Computer, click properties, then click the system restore tab and you should find the small box - turn off system restore is checked.
If it is uncheck it.. If the slider indicating the amount of space used for system restore is all the way to the right, reduce it to about half way.
The click Apply and OK.

2. Please post a copy of your Belarc log. Pls ensure you delete any product keys and personal details before doing so..

3. Is it ANY CD that locks up the computer or only a music or jpegs - pictures one.
If you have a data CD, any will do, such as a program installation please see if that also locks it up.
If it is only a music CD - what is being used to play it. - Windows Media player or some other software.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you have dealt with my post 26 and while I look at your Belarc would you please do this

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 April 2011 - 05:19 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have turned on System Restore like you said.

Included is an attachment of my Belarc file.

I tried both data discs and music discs neither works on normal pc mode. They actually completely freeze the pc to the point where all I can do is restart.

Music discs are read in safe mode but cannot be played. Data discs read fine in safe mode.

Not sure if this means anything but I was not able to get a live Ubuntu Netbook Edition Disc to play fully.

Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by andydude00, 06 April 2011 - 09:24 PM.

andydude00

andydude00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Here is my PC Pitstop link:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24297485

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Net 3Com 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible) 22

Re Pitstop result - the driver for the network adaptor is out of date and the device is shown as Code 22 - the device is disabled.
Please go to the Dell Site and update the driver and re-enable the device.
Which is this one

2/6/2003Version:ECD5.43A2(4.26), A08. Yours is dated 30.10.2001
The 1394 adaptor that is disabled is of no consequence as it is ONLY there as always showing that the computer has a firewire - 1394 port.

From the Belarc log - please go Windows update and install the long list of missing critical updates.

From the Pc Pitstop result, that driver for the wirleess card is
10/22/2008 5.10.38.26
which is a

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
After extensive research that card was NOT supplied with that Dell.
There is of course a possibility it has replaced the original wireless b card.
If the original card is still in the computer, which was it appears a Broadcom, then that driver may well not show in device manager as a warning, but could still easily cause this problem.

COULD YOU connect hard wired with an ethernet cable after installing the latest driver for that as above. Disbale the wirless and then see HOW the DVD is.
If there is still no success. Do you feel competant to look at thhe card and see if you can get any identifier from it.

Mini PCI Card
You must remove the optional Mini PCI wireless modem (if installed) before the system board can be removed. A wireless modem card must be connected to the internal antenna of the computer.

Posted Image

NOTICE: Disconnect the computer and attached devices from electrical outlets and remove any installed batteries.

Posted Image

NOTICE: To avoid ESD, ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching unpainted metal on the computer.

Mini PCI Card Cover

Posted Image

M2.5 x 20-mm screw

Removing the Mini PCI Card
  • Follow the instructions in "Preparing to Work Inside the Computer."
  • Remove the M2.5 x 20-mm screw and then remove the Mini PCI card cover.
  • To release the Mini PCI card, spread the metal securing tabs until the card pops up slightly.
  • Disconnect the card from the internal antenna.
  • Lift out the card and disconnect any attached cables.
Replacing the Mini PCI Card
  • Align the Mini PCI card with the socket at a 45-degree angle, and press the Mini PCI card into the socket.
  • Connect the internal-antenna cable to the primary-antenna connector on the card.
Posted Image

NOTICE: The connectors are keyed for correct insertion; do not force the connections.

Posted Image

internal-antenna cable

primary-antenna connector on card

• <a name="1110746">Pivot the Mini PCI card down until it clicks into place.
  • Replace the Mini PCI card cover and the M2.5 x 20-mm screw

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 12:37 PM.