Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE won't load. Internet Options is missing from Control Panel

• Please log in to reply

ashaffer88

ashaffer88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My sister removed malware from the computer last night. Now our IE won't load and internet options is completely missing. We went to "run" and put in Inetcpl.cpl and nothing happens after we hit run. I double click the IE icon and it flashes then closes. We have Norton Anti-virus on our computer. I am at a loss. I need IE for an assessment for college and right now have to use FireFox. What do I do?

Edited by ashaffer88, 05 April 2011 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

mysoul

mysoul

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi ashaffer 88,
İf you're certain that your system is clean now,what i would do is this:

1. Uninstall internet explorer>start>control panel>add/remove programs
2.go to start,run type %temp% click ok,and delete everything there.if you get a notice that not all files can be deleted,that's ok,
delete what you can,then repeat the process again.
3.start>run type prefetch click ok,again delete everything in there.
4.Go to 'my computer,right click choose 'properties^'click on 'clean disc'make sure 'temp files'and recycle bin are check marked,click ok.
5.reboot the pc.

6.System Restore points may be corrupted as well,so i would delete them as well,
clean disc again.
7.Reboot.
8.Create a new System Restore point,if it hasn't been done automatically.
9.At this point i would check if defragmenting the drive is needed,if so do that.

Btw what do you have for security other than Norton Antivirus? İf that's all you have it's NOT enough.

İ can make some suggestion about that,after you have finished with the above.

Please note:After İE is uninstalled and system is cleaned go to Windows Update to get a fresh copy of İE8.

İf you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Cheers.

Edited by mysoul, 07 April 2011 - 07:06 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
There is a possible glitch to the uninstall of IE.

Need to know what OS you are running. Also need to know what SP (service pack)

It also depends in you installed IE7/IE8 before or after XP sp3 (if you are on XP.

Read This