Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

microsoft windows update

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
In the process of trying to install McAfee Total Protection 2011 on my PC, it wouldn't install because apparently the windows update is missing. I found out that a dll file was missing and bought software to fix the registry but it still won't work. I cannot find any solutions on the microsoft website. Until this is cleared up according to McAfee, I can't install the McAfee software so my pc is open to viruses, etc. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly I am sorry to tell you that I have bad news for you.
The software to fix the registry is very likely something you should have avoided at all costs.
Keep well away from registry cleaners.

See the message at the end of my signature notes on this post and the link to WHY you should not use these programs.

Secondly and choosing my way of wording this very carefully -
There are excellent free anti-virus producst available.
Microsoft Security Essentials is one such product.
It is unobtrusive, uses few resources and is updated regularly.

I use it on my four computers and it has never let me down.

I do not wish you to view this as a critcism of McAfee but it is one of the anti-virus programs that is renowned as using a lot of resources.
Personally, if you have bought the McAfee and cannot install it and have therefore NOT yet registered the product - I would not go down that route.
However that decision must be yours.
See this
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

I also suggest you look at this about the use of resources in that Total Protection
https://community.mc...e/126438#126438

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 April 2011 - 03:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above, as soon as you decide what you are doing post back and I will then work with you to resolve the issue.

PLEASE keep away from registry cleaners, fixers and al such tools.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ok, I am removing the Winmaximizer and Winsweeper, and I installed the Microsoft Security Essentials. That is currently doing a scan. After that, I'm free for whatever other help you can give me and would appreciate it.

Thank You!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you have that installed please go to Windows Update.
Once it has told you if updates are available.
Download and install the high priority ones.

Whilst on that site and ONLY while there, before you start downloading and installing.
Turn off your pop-up blocker. That is on IE on the tools tab - pop up blocker, click and you will then see turn off.

Let me know how you go on.
Was that the paid for McAfee and can you get a refund?