Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

32 bit or 64 bit, more or less bits are better

• Please log in to reply

gunn1

gunn1

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I just purchased a Dell Latitude E6410 with a intel i7 core(vPro)processor. My question is this, which is better the 32 bit system (which is what the system currently has) or the 64 bit system? My "old" laptop had the 64 bit. I am just wondering which is best, and if the 64 bit is better would their be a way to change my new computer to 64 bit OS ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The key differences are other then a newer OS version :
  • More ram memory can be utilized with a 64 bit OS. 32 Bit OS is only capable of using 3.5 gigs where a 64 bit system can do as much as 192 gigs of memory.
  • Faster system using a 64 bit OS
  • More secure then a 32 bit
  • Better graphics

You would have to format the system to install a 64 bit version. Unlike previous versions you simply cannot upgrade to a 64 bit OS. It has to be a clean install. Before doing that make sure the warranty will not be voided for changing OS's. Normally staying with a version like Win7 will not void the warranty be it 32 or 64 bit but just make sure.
Second check the manufacturers website to make sure there are 64 bit drivers for your hardware. Though not as crucial it will help even more if they are 64 bit drivers.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Read my signiture at the bottom to understand about the memory difference

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi all, So lets just say you have a laptop with a i7 processor with 4GB of Ram running Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

And then you found out you could do a clean install and have a Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS for $80.00 this includes reloading all the other programs, micro office, spyware, personal settings, ect.

Would you do it? Is it worth it with the 4GB ram or will the 64 bit system come into play only once the Ram is stuffed with more GB's? will the 64 bit cause the laptop to start quicker? what kind of benefits are there (along with all the other items already mentioned)? Or am I better off leaving it as it is?

Lots of questions huh....I know you guys and gals can handle it!!!

Please give me your opinions....I know you will!!

Thank you,

Gunn1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hi all, So lets just say you have a laptop with a i7 processor with 4GB of Ram running Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

As we stated above you may have 4 gigs of memory but a 32 bit OS will not utilize it. Even on its absolute best day it will only use 3.7 gigs.

Would you do it?

Forgetting the other stuff you add I would do it without hesitation.

Is it worth it with the 4GB ram or will the 64 bit system come into play only once the Ram is stuffed with more GB's?

You don't have to increase memory to get the benefit of all the memory you already have installed. The benefit is later if you wanted to increase it to say 8 gigs total you can as long as your mobo will accept it.

will the 64 bit cause the laptop to start quicker?

In theory yes because of the extra memory now available.

what kind of benefits are there (along with all the other items already mentioned)? Or am I better off leaving it as it is?

As I stated before... security, newer version, faster and better graphics capability

In the end the decision is up to you but if you can do the update as you say then why wouldn't you want the newest 64 bit OS running on one of the fastest cpu's on the market right now? Seems like a easy decision to me.
:D :D

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thank you

Gunn1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and I hope we have been able to supply you with the information you needed. :D
Let us know how everything turns out as we like to know good or bad the results. :D