Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power supply issue

• Please log in to reply

Xeramus

Xeramus

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello. I'm having an issue with my computer not powering up properly. When I power on the pc it turns on but it doesn't seem to get power to the mobo. I say this because the light on the video card comes on (using a 6 pin plug to the PSU) but nothing displays and the usb mouse and keyboard (plugged into the mobo) don't come on. The screen also stays black and nothing comes up but I can hear the HDD as though it's working. I can fix the issue by taking off the side of the case and unplugging the mobo for about 30 seconds, turning the PSU off and on, and then plugging it back in. Then the computer will power on fine and I can shut it down and reboot it with no problems. This only happens after I shut the PC down for an extended period of time. Overnight or while I'm at work. I am using an ASUS desktop model CM1630, and have upgraded from the integrated graphics to an ATI Radeon HD 5750, and I also changed out the PSU from the stock 300w to an OCZ 700w PSU. This OCZ (model OCZ 600ADJ)PSU is quite old though (about 5 or so years)so I'm wondering if there is anyway I can fix this issue without having to buy a new PSU.

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I would undo what you did so you can say for sure that it is the power supply.

What I mean is pull your graphics card out and the ocz psu and put the 300watt psu back in and run the integrated graphics just to see if your pc works properly. If it does then you know it's probably the psu.

As far as not having to buy a new psu, only thing that comes to mind is setting your pc to hibernate or suspend.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would add that whatever the problem is:
THIS PROCEDURE CAN ONLY EVER LEAD TO FAR MORE PROBLEMS

I can fix the issue by taking off the side of the case and unplugging the mobo for about 30 seconds, turning the PSU off and on, and then plugging it back in.

Presuming that you do mean - reconnecting - with a live power supply.

My feeling is
1. Has the BIOS been set to disable onboard graphics.
2. See the link below for info re the correct install procedure and ensure you have the latest driver for your operating system. You will see that a BIOS update is suggested if the system BIOS date is before the introduction of the card. - always a RISK. - be careful.
http://support.amd.c...eon HD5000.aspx

Certainly the advice given you gorham, is the best starting point I think - the only thing I would add IS LEAVE the PSU in and go back to the integrated graphics. If the same still occurs you know then that it is the PSU -with more or less certainty.

Xeramus

Xeramus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, will try these on my next cold boot, probably in the morning. Will get back to you then. Thanks!

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Certainly the advice given you gorham, is the best starting point I think - the only thing I would add IS LEAVE the PSU in and go back to the integrated graphics. If the same still occurs you know then that it is the PSU -with more or less certainty.

Good point on this. This makes more sense that way your isolating the exact possible problem.

Xeramus

Xeramus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, Sorry about the delay, busy for a few days and haven't had the chance to do anything. After Unplugging the video card, and going back to Integrated Graphics and leaving the PSU in, I still had the same issue. I went ahead and ordered a new PSU to try and fix the problem (and a new one would just be nice to have) I will reply again when it arrives and I get it installed and tested. Thanks for your patience

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck with it.
Please do let us know.

Xeramus

Xeramus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright, I took a few days and did cold boot tests on different settings and the problem hasn't happened on any setting since we plugged in the new PSU. The problem seems to be fixed!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it was sorted.
Thanks for posting the result.