Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connected to internet but won't browse anything

• Please log in to reply

Chamelion

Chamelion

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I'm in a bit of a dilemma and it's driving me nuts.

I just recently had been hit by the Vista Home Security 2011 virus, but I managed to remove it using malwarebytes. After restarting the computer, I try to access the internet...

And I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. In fact, every single page I go to immediately pops that message up. I thought it was just the browser itself, but when I try to run an internet-related game, or a messenger program, it gives me the error that it cannot conect to the internet.

I know it's not the connection itself that's giving the problem, because at the time of this writing I'm on a laptop that's connected to the same modem that the main computer is using.

As I said before, this was after I cleaned out the Vista Home Security Virus, and I think after I removed it, something else had happened that messed up the communication between the network and the computer.

On a further note, I tried to access my modem's IP Address, and it's coming up "The address is not valid".

Edited by Chamelion, 06 April 2011 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Try this:

Check - Reset Proxy settings
Malware can alter your proxy settings. If altered, it can affect your ability to browse or download tools required for disinfection.

Internet Explorer Proxy settings:
  • Open Internet Explorer > click Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab.
  • Click the LAN Settings... button and uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN"
    or change the settings to the proxy you normally use if you previously reconfigured it.
  • Remove any unknown addresses from the Address box. 80 is the default Port so it does not have to be changed.
  • Click OK... then click OK again.
  • Close Internet Explorer and -restart- the computer.
  • An example of how to do this with screenshots can be found in steps 3-7 under the section Automated Removal Instructions... in this guide.

Firefox Proxy settings:
  • Open Firefox, click Tools > Options > Advanced and click the Network Tab.
  • Under the Connection section click on the Settings... button.
  • Under Configure Proxies to Access the Internet, check No proxy. This is the default option if you don't use a proxy.
  • Click OK... then click OK again.
  • Close Firefox and -restart- the computer.

For other browsers, please refer to How to configure browser proxy settings.

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Tried that. No results. Plus, the Lan box was already unticked when I checked, so I know that's not the issue.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
It's possible that you are still infected, I'd follow the instructions in this thread: http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ .

You will need to create a new thread and post the required logs in this forum here: Malware Forum.

You may need to use a USB drive to download the OTL file onto your USB drive and then transfer it over to the infected computer.

Chamelion

Chamelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Okay, it's fixed now. I did a system restore and that fixed it. I was worried at first on doing that in the first place lest I get the virus again.