Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changed icon folder and headings

• Please log in to reply

mysoul

mysoul

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi all,i have a little problem,i hope someone here can help me with.My system is W XP SP 3.

Some time ago while i was in C:Documents and Settings/my logon/i did something that changed the icon and heading of my 'my documents'folder into the icon and heading of my 'favorites'folder,

therefore now i have 2 'my Documents'folders,or when i right click and choose'change name'it fixes the problem until i close the page,
then again i end up with EİTHER 2 'my Document folders OR 2 'my favorites'folders.

Let me rush to explain that THE CONTENTS OF BOTH folders DON'T CHANGE(no problem there)just the 2 icons and headings.

My system is clean NOT a virus thing,it's simply something i accidently did,and can't undo.

HELP please it's rather annoying,

Thank you.

Edited by mysoul, 06 April 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi mysole
Please try a check disk r (with this code) first and let the computer see if it can repair itself first
Copy and paste this code into Run box, close all open programs (including internet) and let this run
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Now click OK. After 30 seconds your system will reboot and start the disk check.
This will perform a full 5 stage check / repair on your system and may find a problem or 2 to fix.
The check takes from 30 mins to about an hour depending on your system and its content -

Thank You -

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi noknojon,
thanks for the reply,i followed your instruction and the system shut down and then rebooted.

However it did NOT perform a disc check at all,
it rebooted straight into my desktop like a normal boot does.
İ tried it again with the same result.

İ had done a chkdsk 2 days ago,(as i regularly do once every 6 weeks os so)with no problems.

Anything else you or anyone else can suggest please?

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not quite certain what you have done.
If indeed IT is you that has done it and not some program or download.

Go to the folder in question right click, click properties, click the customize - change icon
You cannot change the icon of certain folders.
In relation to its name. - right click and rename.

THAT ALL SAID be careful as your explanantion athough clearly the best that could be done in words leaves me in doubt as to what extactly the situation is.
To use the old adage a picture paints a thousand words.

Screen shot it please.
Image on screen.
Press Print screen key
Programs
Accessories
Paint
Click edit tab and paste.
Clcik File tab and save as
select JPEG the deafult Bitmap in paint is too large.
Attach to reply please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2011 - 03:38 PM.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi thanks for your reply,
i had already done the 'icon changes' to keep the two apart,
however the 'headings' still remain the same(ie either 2 'my documents'or 2 'my favs'

Attached screen shot,
Currently there are 2 'favorites'in my logon page.İf i change one to 'my documents' than close the page,the other folder's heading (my favs)reverts as well.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• logonname.JPG

Edited by mysoul, 08 April 2011 - 05:14 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry I do not think I can help
I see the folders but cannot work out the list on the left hand pane., due to the language.
You appear to have hidden files and folder showing.
I suggest you click the tools tab, folder options, view and click to cleat the check mark on show hidden files and folders and if also checked - ensure protected operating system files are not checked to show.

Dependiong on how long sometime ago is - try a restore point.

Other than that I regret I do not think I can assist.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 April 2011 - 06:23 AM.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi again,
why you would need to work out the list on the left hand pane,i don't quite understand how that would help you in solving this,
however that's ok,
İ suppose i'll have to live with this nuisance,until the next clean system reinstall.
Re: your suggestion about hiding protected operating system files and such,there are many who advise the opposite and i prefer it that way myself.

İ do appreciate the effort you put in though,thank you very much indeed.

Cheers.

Edited by mysoul, 08 April 2011 - 01:50 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I did not need to work on them I was having problems understanding which actual window was open.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
You've lost me,
the screenshot was taken at my 'logon page'

by 'which actual window was open' what are you refering to?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Create another admin account > logon to this new admin > try to rename a folder.
If you are able to rename a folder and it stays renamed on reboot, in the new admin account, then your old admin account is corrupted.

mysoul

mysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
İ have decided to leave things as they are for now until i reinstall the operating system, as creating a new admin account could create Lord knows what other unexpected problems.
that make the current one pale in comparison.
You never know with Windows

Thanks again for your effort,it's appreciated.