Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games not working

• Please log in to reply

elson

elson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Some of my games have just stopped working all of a sudden. It will start and then freeze saying "whatever game has stopped working". Some games work such as Bad Company 2 but most are getting this error, all hl2.exe games, Cod4, Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 2. I tired reinstalling SC2 and it gives the same error.

System Specs are
Windows 7
i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz
4GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
ATI HD5850 @ 900/1200 11.4p drivers

SC2 gave this error ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)occurred at 0023:00000000. The memory at '0x00000000' could not be executed. Could this be a memory error?

I've attached a Dxdiag file and Hijack this file if that will help, if anything else is needed just ask.

I ran Memtest+86 and it did 2 full loops with no errors, If that helps.

Attached Files

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
two suggestions.

1: update your video drive from http://support.amd.c...SupportHub.aspx
It appears that it is outdated per your dxdiag.

2: run a memory test.

Please download Windows Memory Diagnostic,
Save it to somewhere you will remember.

Preparation
After downloading the tool, run it and accept the EULA.
You will be asked to either make a floppy disk or create a CD image.
If you want to use a floppy disk, insert a floppy disk and hit the top button.
If you want to use a CD then hit the bottom button and save the 'windiag.iso' to a place you can remember.
Once you have saved the 'windiag.iso' you will have to burn it to disk, a good program to use is ISO Recorder.

Starting the Diagnostics
Now you should have the CD burnt or the floppy created. The next step will be to run the diagnostics.
Insert your CD or floppy and reboot the computer. You should get prompted to boot from the CD or floppy.
If you didn't get prompted to boot from CD or floppy you will have to change the Boot Order in the BIOS so that CD or floppy comes before the hard drive.

The Results
Once the Diagnostics start running, let it run for about 4 full passes. Preferably overnight.
When the scan has done 4 full passes, or an overnight scan, look at the bottom of the screen.
The bottom of the screen will indicate if any errors have been found.
If errors have been found please check how many under the "results" part of the bottom table.
You can then reboot your machine by pressing the 'X' key.
Please report back with your findings.

elson

elson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ran 6 passes and a 1 in depth pass and no errors.

Also my drivers are the latest preview drivers. I upgraded to them after i started having problems.

I think i will run memtest and WMD on each individual stick to see if its one RAM stick that the problem, ill have to do it tomm so I will post the results.

Edited by elson, 12 April 2011 - 02:50 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when was the last time you cleaned our your pc case? By that I mean with some canned air? A dirty pc can cause issues like this as well.

elson

elson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

when was the last time you cleaned our your pc case? By that I mean with some canned air? A dirty pc can cause issues like this as well.

a few weeks ago. I keep it pretty clean considering its pretty good hardware. I have the best air cooling inside as well. Im running memtest and WMD on each stick right now and if that yields no results I suppose its not a hardware issue. Then i guess ill try reinstalling windows.

EDIT: WMD gave lots of errors on the second stick like 25 over 11 runs. Im going to go ahead with the clean install and if the second sticks still gives problems I'll run on 2GB until i find another set

Edited by elson, 13 April 2011 - 11:50 AM.