Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shut down issue...again

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
OK! So I had this issue before and rshaffer61 some what helped me out HERE I now have the same issue but only on my account and not the others. I have 4 accounts on my computer to which 2 of them are no longer in use.(yes they will be removed after I have this issue resolved.) I can shut down/restart on the one account but whenever I try to shut down or do the updates on my account, which is the main account, it refuses to shut down.
My question is why or what would cause this to only happen on mine and not on the others? Haven't changed or done anything on here different. It seems to be fine for a spell then starts all over again. Never really did find out what exactly caused it last time. Just assumed it was corrected by an update. I have kept up with the updates since and then one night went to shut it down and it hung.
Any thoughts are welcomed.

Regards
BT

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi again Big Trucks and lets see if we can figure this one out.
First of all lets check the file system on your account to make sure nothing is going on a walk about on you.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hi again Big Trucks and lets see if we can figure this one out.
First of all lets check the file system on your account to make sure nothing is going on a walk about on you.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

hey again rshafer61 goofed and posted in vista when it should be in the XP forums. I have a windows XP e-machine. The vista is my lappy.
Could you post the link for the tutorial for running chkdsk in Windows XP.
Regards
BT
btw while I'm in vista. my tabs on my lap (vista) stopped working. I click on the new tab to open it but nothing happens. Any thoughts on that? I tried locating it in (my browser) but couldn't find anything on my problem.

Edited by bigtrucks, 08 April 2011 - 09:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Moving topic to XP forum

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem