Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access antivirus sites or update AV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fisheatcorn

fisheatcorn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Ive been having problems where I couldn't gain access to Antivirus sites or update my AV to the latest database, as well as being under attack by a fair number of trojans. I was reading some of the posts here where people had similar problems and I followed some by using ComboFix.

This fixed my problem of accessing AV sites and updating, but I wanted to make sure if I had any other problems that needed cleaning. I've attached the combofix log. I probably shouldnt have used ComboFix without getting help first but I was pretty desperate.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by fisheatcorn, 07 April 2011 - 03:19 AM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :D

This fixed my problem of accessing AV sites and updating, but I wanted to make sure if I had any other problems that needed cleaning. I've attached the combofix log. I probably shouldnt have used ComboFix without getting help first but I was pretty desperate.

Aye not a prudent move but I do appreciate why you did so...Do you still require assistance or not?

fisheatcorn

fisheatcorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Assistance would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure my computer is free from any major bugs and whatnot. So far my AV is updating nicely now and scanning well and Ive not encountered other problems. What do you make of the log I attached?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and thanks for the update. :D

Is ComboFix still on your desktop or not? Reason asking is because the aforementioned has a specific methodology to be uninstalled correctly. As for your query it appears you machine was infected with what is know as a rogue application, specifically Antimalware Doctor.

Anyway lets proceed as follows shall we...

Windows 7 Advice:

All applications I ask to be used will require to be run in Administrator mode. IE: Right click on and select Run as Administrator.

The Operating System in use comes with a inbuilt utility called User Access Control(UAC) when prompted by this with anything I ask you to do carry out please select the option Allow.

Before we start:

Please be aware that removing Malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.

Scan with OTL:

Please download OTL and save it to your Desktop.

Alternate downloads are here and here.

• Right-click on OTL.exe and select Run as Administrator to start OTL.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Under Extra Registry section, select Use SafeList.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please post the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:

• How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
  • Both OTL logs. <-- Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.