Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New here, questiong about Restoring Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey a little new to the site so sorry if I did anything out of order. I have a computer I built with a friend about 3 years back or so, everythings valid [I bought vista, nothing pirated etc]. Problem is I don't have the disk and my computer I beleive has passed the point of no return infection wise. Games barely run, random pop ups, AVG and Malbytes antimalware don't seem to catch anything anymore. I wanted to know if microsoft lets you redownload [or somewhere I can download] a basically backup copy of vista and just System recover my computer. I can get on long enough to back up some of the important stuff but in general, I want the whole thing reset. If anyone can help It'd be much appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A complete restore is the last thing we want to do. You can have the Malware Techs take a look and see if they can get you cleaned up and then return here and we will work on the tech part of it. Let me know and I will instructions as needed. For now I am including the instructions for the malware instructions.

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

I'm not sure about going to the malware section just because my computer isn't finding viruses anymore but I'll give it a shot. All I know is my computer was fine and I packed it up to move and when it booted back up, I got lagging on games I didn't have before, I had a few viruses [and now my windows firewall wont work properly or something], and it's slow. Really slow. I've defragged, run AVG/Malwarebytes/Ad-aware and nothing seems to fix it. I tried to system restore but now it says I never made any restore points.

I'll try going through said procedures though, I put alot of work into the computer and I just want it to work well again.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
as rshaffer61 said go ahead and check out the Malware forums. Just because your scanners don't find anything, doesn't mean it's clean. Let the experts here take a thorough look at it. :D

Edited by gorham, 07 April 2011 - 11:58 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The normal scanners do a good job but the tools the malware techs have at their disposable can look below the surface and find hidden infections.
I'm sure part of your issue is a active infection but there could be technical reasons also.
We will look into that after they have cleaned you and only if the issue isn't resolved by them first.

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sounds good. I do beleive you're right, that Tool they first suggest didn't work but the Vyper one is so there may be an underlying infection as you stated. I appreciate all the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:D We will wait for your results in the malware forum. As I said if there is still a issue after completing with them then return here and we will pursue from a technical aspect.

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sounds good. I posted all the current problems there, Vyper is still running [has been for a WHILE] so I'm waiting for that to finish to see what comes of that. Thanks again!

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Not sure if I should be back here or not...but the virus scanners I was suggested to use on the Malware section of this forum actually made everything worse. [http://www.geekstogo...lures-vista-32/ Reference to my 'new' post with the specifics] I can barely use the computer at all now and no longer have internet browsing capabilities on it. All of my programs 'error' and say random files are missing or don't exist. If I should still wait for the Malware guys to respond I shall but at this point, it seems far more reasonable and realistic to just pull off whats important and recover the system before it gets worse. I'm concerned about over working the computer and burning out the Mobo or something.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand but the programs the tutorial have you run do nothing to alter your system.
Erunt backs up your registry
OTL takes a snapshot of your system for the malware techs to look at
Malwarebytes scans your system for infection. quarantines and deletes them if it can.
If you choose to start over that is your choice and I will happily assist you with that.

NOTE: I will not promise that a format and fresh install will rid your system of any possible infection.

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh I didn't mean to imply the antivirus suggested messed anything up, I'm sorry if it came off that way at all! The program I used was..Vipre, because OTL wouldn't work and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware couldn't find anything. I tried running OTL again with the same errors I got last night [won't boot up] and it keeps saying programs 'don't exist' or cannot be found. I had this problem a LONG time ago with a bad virus. It somehow altered basically how everything opened causing all kinds of errors. I'm really not worried about losing whats on there, it was/is a secondary computer and I just want the functionality back really. If you can help me recover it I think that's going to be the easiest route. I'd honestly rather your malware techs focus their attention on people who need to access their system for important things, mine is rather low on that scale.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem but please pm one of the malware moderators in purple and ask them to close your topic for you.
Below I am including the instructions on how to do a fresh install of XP. Though it is written for XP the steps should be all the same.

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

f8tdfire

f8tdfire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll notify one of the mods right away.

My problem is I dont have my Vista 32 Home Premium disk anymore, I lost it in the move. Otherwise I'd be set to go and the guide you sent me to requires I have the disks [2.A Windows XP installation CD with a valid Product Key
(Preferably the disc that shipped with the computer originally, in which case the Product Key won't be obviously listed)]

Is there anyway to do it without that disk? I have the valid key [stuck it inside my PC case so I wouldn't lose it] I just need the actual info to reboot.

Edited by f8tdfire, 08 April 2011 - 04:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the key you have is the original key then borrow a cd of the same version you have.
Vista 32 Home Premium
The key must match the disk so if your key is for a OEM version you can't load a Retail version and vice versa.
You can then use the borrowed disk to load and your key to activate.