Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big trouble with Sony VGN-NR430E

• Please log in to reply

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am trying to install Windows XP on this model of laptop. I have installed a clean cut of Windows XP. I got all the neccesary SATA drivers, Pressed F6 to load them up, formatted the 60gig hard drive and installed Windows XP on the Hard drive. Laptop restarted to complete installation, however, I now get a black screen where I choose types of modes to launch Windows (Safe Mode...etc). My laptop is now stuck in a boot loop, after the Windows logo, it crashes, flashing the top half of the screen blue and black. How can I fix this? Please I need help. Thank you.

Edited by Gamer1179, 07 April 2011 - 12:42 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
How do I get to the second post screen? The first screen that flashes is the VAIO screen. The second screen is the "Windows Mode" selection screen (Safe Mode). I press F2 at the VAIO Screen to open the BIOS Menu up. There is no option to Auto Start on Error.

Here's my Laptops Specs:

VGN-NR430E

System Memory: 1280 RAM
Hard Disk Drive: 60GB

Edited by Gamer1179, 07 April 2011 - 01:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

. The second screen is the "Windows Mode" selection screen (Safe Mode).

This is where the instructions should be to turn off restart. Right where it says use last know good configuration that worked.

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I pressed F8 at the screen. The screen froze, and the seconds stopped counting down. been on the same screen for 10 minutes. About to reboot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you get to the Windows Mode screen you mentioned in post 3 do you not see the line that mentions Turn off automatic restart?

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The following is what the screen reads:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A
recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was
automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known
Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because
the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the
problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 27

That's what my screen says.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Have you tried this one and if so does it still loop?

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It still loops. You see, I just had installed this Operating System. I needed it to reboot to complete the installation. I never had it up, so there is no known good configuration if I never used it once. Thank you for replying back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem...What disk did you use to load XP on the laptop?
Is it a recovery disk that came with the system or a different disk?

Advertisements

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It is a Windows XP with Service Pack 3 Integrated. I am going to try recovery with a USB Windows XP bootable files to recover. I hope it works. I just do not know why I was able to formated my 60 gig drive and install Windows on it, just for the 60 gig hard drive to be lost along with all of Windows installed onto it. Windows will not boot because, the laptop now does not recognize the hard drive it was intalled on it. Thus is why it continues to run through a boot loop. Should the laptop recognize the hard drive, Windows XP would startup perfectly.

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I just want to keep you updated. Since I have ported the Image of the Windows XP with Service Pack 3 Integrated over to a bootable USB flash drive, I am on my way to reinstalling Windows XP. Thank God, but I just don't know why I couldn't from a CD, but now can with a USB Flash drive. Thank you RShaffer61, for giving me feedback.

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hmm, ok, I still get the same problem. Windows installed great. But I now get the additional screen to press the F8 button to disable auto restart. Doing that just leads to the blue screen of death. But I am looking for some additional drivers that I can install from a floppy or USB. I just can not believe Installation was complete and yet Windows will not start properly. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Blank blue screen? This would not be normal for sure :D :D

Gamer1179

Gamer1179

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It's ok, I found out the problem is an unmountable boot volume. It is unmountable because ither the Sata Drivers failed at the startup (Which explains why Windows tries to bootup then crashes. If it can not recognized the bootable volume, it crashes.) Or the bootable volume needs to be repaired with a reinstallation. Not a clean installation but a repaired installation of Windows XP.