Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i7-950 Overheating, no OC stock fan

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you are overheating, I would not overclock.

Advertisements

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

If you are overheating, I would not overclock.

Clearly. Hence the new liquid cooling kit...?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Not if overheating at normal clock speeds. If overheating at normal clock speeds, that needs to be resolved first. No normally clocked CPU needs alternative cooling (if used in a quality, properly configured case). And if that CPU came in a "retail" box version packaged with a supplied cooler, the warranty covers usage only if used with the OEM cooler. So alternative cooling solutions should only be used by those who understand and are willing to accept the consequences. And I note motherboard designers cluster critical devices around the CPU socket for a purpose - to take advantage the CPU's fan - something many inexperienced alternative cooling users don't understand, but learn about the hard way.

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Not if overheating at normal clock speeds. If overheating at normal clock speeds, that needs to be resolved first. No normally clocked CPU needs alternative cooling (if used in a quality, properly configured case). And if that CPU came in a "retail" box version packaged with a supplied cooler, the warranty covers usage only if used with the OEM cooler. So alternative cooling solutions should only be used by those who understand and are willing to accept the consequences. And I note motherboard designers cluster critical devices around the CPU socket for a purpose - to take advantage the CPU's fan - something many inexperienced alternative cooling users don't understand, but learn about the hard way.

Ah... ok well I'll give Intel and Asus a buzz on Monday to see what they think.

Rik111

Rik111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Contacted Intel & Asus. Both said to try the third party solution first, and see how it went.

With my new Corsair H70, I get under 30C idle, and under 51C 100% load.

Thanks for the help. :]