Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Damaged Folder and Files

• Please log in to reply

panchristo

panchristo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all, I found this forum while looking for a solution to my problem, hope I'll find it here...

Here's the case:

I found out suddenly that one of my folders I usually use (daily) that contains lots of files, must have been corrupted in a way, because:
a)every excel file stored inside it doesn't work (i.e. can't open, can't repair in any way)
b)every Filemaker file also (same as above)
c)the same has happened to 2-3 .ico files I used to use as folder icons.
d)image files (jpegs, tiffs) seem to be fine.

I suspected at first some sort of disk problem so I ran Chkdsk (from command prompt - had to reboot), but with no results.
Do I need defragmentation? Analysis says no.
I may be able to get some of my files from backups, but I am greatly worried until I find what has caused it and if further actions need be taken or not.
Does the rest of my system run a risk? How can I find out if any other files are damaged as well? (can't click every single one of them!)
Performed a virus scan but nothing there as well.

Any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!!!! :D :D

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi panchristo ... :D ..:D

as this is probably a office problem you may have better luck if you post this in Geeks to Go Forums > Software > Office here

if you don't get it figured out there post back here and we will try to help

panchristo

panchristo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
As I wrote, the problem is not only with Office files, but Filemaker files as well and everything else apart from images.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Were all the files damaged in a single occurrence or is it an on-going problem?

I would recommend:

1: Open a new folder under a different name and move all the undamaged files to this folder. Use the new folder for your daily work and see if the problem keeps developing.

2: Run a malware scan, using your antivirus and Malwarebytes.

3: Keep doing what you already do: backup regularly.

panchristo

panchristo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, by the way, do you have any clue as to what this may be attributed to?

Also, is it ok if I delete the faulty one?

Is it possible that the problem might also be attributed to the fact that the folder was directly on the desktop?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: no, I don't know what caused the problem.

2: You can delete the old folder. Just make sure that you saved all valuable data.

3: The fact that the folder was placed on the desktop cannot be related to it's corruption. Personally I don't save folders on the desktop because the chance for an accidental deletion is higher. Most often I save my folders in My Documents and create a shortcut if I want a fast access from my desktop.

panchristo

panchristo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can you tell me known ways to repair my files?
It is important for me to know I have used all available means of recovery.
Currently, everything I try to open (e.g. Word, Excel) results in a message saying the content of the fiile does not correspond to its extension, and a popup like custom text insert appears. :D

As for Filemaker files, says file is corrupted, attempt repair but then repair is impossible. :D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Right-click the file and report what "type of file" the files are. Do they all have the same extension or is there a variety of extensions.

What version of office do you have installed? Did you change Office version lately? Have the corrupted files been written with a version not currently installed?

If you have Office installation CD, uninstall the program and reinstall it. your data will not be affected.

I asked in a previous post whether the problem occurred in a single event or did it evolve over time. I also suggested to run anti malware programs. Have you done that? did you find any malware? please report.

What is the present situation? I understand that you created a new folder and transfered your files to there. How is it working now? Do the files open with Office? Do you have any new corruptions?

panchristo

panchristo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well it seems that the problem has been sorted out finally and I think I know what has caused it.

Here is the complete story in case someone is taught something over it:

One day before I had realized the problem (goto top for description) I had downloaded a free utility which batch-onverts txt files from one character set to another, because I had to make some mass changes to txt files resorting in a multi-level hierarchy folders.

Before affecting my files I had copied them to a new folder for testing. Once I had configured which settings suit me, I applied the same command to the original files keeping one backup for safety.
What I had missed in the process is that because during my testing there were only txt files in my "test folder" I forgot to adjust the "apply to files of type" filter, leaving it to "*.*" when I applied it to the whole hierarchy of folders containing various kinds of files(.xls, .doc, .fp7). That way, all files in my original folders were affected without me thinking it might have done any harm to non-txt files (stupid me...).

So when everything advised had failed to restore my files I had an instant "revelation" about the cause and gave it a try.
I re-applied the batch conversion the other way round and like magic everything worked fine.

Lesson(s) learned:
  • Always try batch actions on copies (done that)
  • Avoid mass actions to files when other files (residing inthe same folder) may be involved too (couldn't avoid it)
  • If you can't avoid it, pay quadruple attention to what you do (missed that)
  • Try to revert historically in your mind things up to the last "clear sky situation" (did it after the first shock!)
  • If you try to correct things, also try on a copy of the file(s) (done that as well)

As you can see, missing only one rule was enough to give my a hard time.
So, people out there be CAREFUL!

Most of all thank all of you for your kind interest and support!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.