Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Normal numerical keys acting as finction keys

• Please log in to reply

Drithleach

Drithleach

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but it is driving me mad!!

Today when I started up my computer (Sony Vaio) the normal numerical keys (the ones at the top, not the number pad at the right) are behaving like the function keys. Numlk is not on. The delete key is also not quite right. The only thing I have done differently is last night a windows update installed. I tried going back to a prior restore point just in case, but it wont restore to a prior point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully it is a quick thing. I'm using windows 7 home premium.

Thanks

Advertisements

Drithleach

Drithleach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I should add that I have tried reinstalling the keyboard, and using system restore (it says that it wont let the system restore as something is using on eof the files i.e. virus software, but I dont have any running). I have also spent 1 hour on the phone to Sony - who can only suggest a return to factory settings - but I really dont want to have to do that right now).

The numerical keys will work (see above) I just get the addded options also. The numerical keypad is also behaving oddly, i.e. when I press 1 I get "21".

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
There is a "number lock key" next to the F12 key. You probably hit it accidently.

Drithleach

Drithleach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There is a prt sc/sys rq key - but pressing it has no effect. :D