Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building my First Laptop

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I'm not a computer genius, but I have taken apart some laptops, and feel I have the skills to assemble my own. However, I have some questions about specific parts that I'd like to ask before I go buy anything, mainly:

Motherboard --> I'm looking for a Motherboard that can hold 2 graphics cards. Are they available to the public? How well do they work? Will 2 of the second-best NVidia cards be better than 1 of the best?

Case --> Are barebones laptops built for specific motherboards? Can I buy my hypothetical dual GPU board and put it in any case that I think looks cool?

My idea of this hypothetical laptop is an equivalent the 17" Alienware laptop without the $4500 price tag, but I feel comfortable approaching that amount (~$3800.) I'm hoping to keep my hypothetical computer in the "high-end" category for the next several years.

These are the parts I'm considering buying:
-Micron 4GB DDR3 RAM PC3-8500 204-Pin Laptop SODIMM (x2, total 8GB)
-SAMSUNG SpinPoint MT2 HM100UI 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-Intel Core i7 2820QM / 2.3 GHz 988-pin Micro FCPGA - L3 8 MB - Box (might change depending on the motherboard.)
-Windows 7 Professional x64 (OEM Version)
-The best GPU(s) I can find (If they don't come preinstalled.)

All I think I'm missing is a case (which would hopefully come with a screen/keyboard/touchpad,) and motherboard, which also hopefully comes with a built-in sound card.

Any advice you'd like to tack on would also be appreciated! :D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi WhydoIask?, check out the attached link for some enlightenment http://hubpages.com/...your-own-laptop

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thank you for the link. If I take this article as truth, then I assume that I'm supposed to buy a barebones laptop with the GPU preinstalled on the motherboard, and just add everything else to that?

I guess my question has changed from "are there any dual-gpu motherboards available" to "are there any dual-gpu barebones laptops available?" I still would like an answer to that.

Thanks.