Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittant Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

Bolt

Bolt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, great forum you have here, I've been poking around this evening.

My problem is:

Dell Dimension 4500, XP Pro, and had SP2 on it.

I took the computer home from college, and it was working fine on the internet at my house there. Get home, hook up to network, and it will browse the web, but keeps popping up saying limited or no connectivity. I tried all the tips I saw here on this board, Winsock, fixreg.reg, and so on. Finaly uninstalled SP2, and now the problem is still the same, just the bubble doesn't pop up telling me so. It does this in everything, Netscape, MSN Messenger, and so on. It's hooked up to a speedstream 2602 router, and to a similar computer, which has no problems. I put in a different network card in my computer, and it seemed to extend the intervals a bit, but still working as it should.

ipconfig gives me IP addresses, but Media Disconnected status message. I can ping myself, other PC, and router, and sometimes during this it drops connection for a few seconds.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I am certain I am leaving some neccesary info out.

Do you guys have any ideas for me, some things I need to check or change?

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisements

Bolt

Bolt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
whoops, just realized that the media disconnected item was for my other network card, after I put another one in.

Does anyone have any help for me? Would dissableing media disconnect help me out?