Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you make a hack to make the print spooler start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok I did the AutoRuns.

Here you go. :)

Attached Files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM" "Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files (x86)\common files\adobe\arm\1.0\adobearm.exe"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher" "Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files (x86)\adobe\reader 9.0\reader\reader_sl.exe"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi rs. I unchecked the items in Autoruns and will run the TFC, but are you sure I need to defrag my computer again so quickly? I mean I just defragged it with that program about a week ago. Does it really need to be defragged that quickly again? I'm just wondering...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep just to make sure everything is in order.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
what is the brand and model of your printer?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok rs. I submitted the Autoruns log previously, ran the TFC and defragged the computer. How would you like me to proceed now? :unsure:

And dev the printer is a HP Officejet 4315. I'm running Windows vista 64 bit if that helps. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the driver HERE you are using?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Is this the driver HERE you are using?

Yes that's the driver I'm using. And rs ever since I've been doing the fixes here some of my icons have been going blank. On the taskbar my HP mediasmart DVD icon is blank and when I click on it nothing happens. In the autoruns I believe the dvd is unchecked so I was wondering if this why. Also when I click on the Microsoft Word icon (which is now blank) on my start menu nothing happens either. All of my word documents have no W icon on them and instead look like a box with 6 little icons on them if you know what I'm talking about. How do I fix this? I really want my icons back and especially Microsoft Word.

Edited by leader2, 08 May 2011 - 11:15 PM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
That's weird...
Since when did this happen?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

That's weird...
Since when did this happen?

It happened several hours ago. Then somehow I was able to print and scan so I was relieved and edited my post. I think it's working fine now. Thanks dev and sorry to alarm you. But I still can't print in safe mode even with that registry key. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
No, I mean the Word one. Is it still happening now?

Also, is Normal Mode working fine? Your printer is an USB printer, not a LPT printer, and it depends on many HP services so I am afraid that I will have to enable many services in Safe Mode. That would defeat the purposes of Safe Mode itself.
If you agree, I and rshaffer61 will try our best to repair Normal Mode for you. Is this OK for you?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

No, I mean the Word one. Is it still happening now?

Also, is Normal Mode working fine? Your printer is an USB printer, not a LPT printer, and it depends on many HP services so I am afraid that I will have to enable many services in Safe Mode. That would defeat the purposes of Safe Mode itself.
If you agree, I and rshaffer61 will try our best to repair Normal Mode for you. Is this OK for you?

Yes the Microsoft word icon and other Icons are still not showing up. My word documents show no W icon either. Just a box with 6 squares. I would really prefer to print in safe mode though. Are you sure this isn't possible? Is there some other method we could use? Because normal mode is full of blue screens, freezes and slowdowns. I am willing to try to fix normal mode sure, but is there some way I could print in safe mode? I just really would like to know. Thanks.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I think it is possible to do that, but Safe Mode will get equally messed up. That's not what we want at all; what we want is a stable, reliable Safe Mode in case of Windows failure.

What is your Office version? Are other non-Office files affected?
Do you have a System Restore point saved before this happened?

Edited by devper94, 09 May 2011 - 07:30 AM.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I think it is possible to do that, but Safe Mode will get equally messed up. That's not what we want at all; what we want is a stable, reliable Safe Mode in case of Windows failure.

What is your Office version? Are other non-Office files affected?
Do you have a System Restore point saved before this happened?

I am using Office XP. And yes I believe other office files are affected. I can't see the icon on the Publisher files either. I don't know if I have a system restore point saved as I'm not exactly sure when it started happening. Maybe a week ago. I'm almost wondering if it matters on this computer since whenever I try to do System restore on this computer I ALWAYS get an error message. :unsure: Sorry dev I'm not angry at you or rs, I'm just a bit frustrated with the computer. Please give whatever suggestions you have as to how to fix this. I would appreciate them. :)

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
luckily we have something left.
please open erunt and restore from the backup. lets see if that works. if not we will have to try something else.