Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you make a hack to make the print spooler start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You mean that just the shortcut is not working, but the doc files you have can be opened normally?

First create a new ERUNT backup. This must be done first.
Download LNK assoc fix here. Unzip the file, then double-click the REG file to import it. Reboot.

After that let's try rebuilding the icon cache.
Open Task Manager, choose all instances of "explorer.exe" (take care to choose just this filename). Your desktop will disappear. Don't close Task Manager just yet.
In Task Manager, click File - New Task, type "cmd" then click OK. In the Command Prompt window type in:
del /f /a /q %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
Click New Task again, type in "explorer.exe" then click OK. Your desktop should now come back.

Advertisements

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

You mean that just the shortcut is not working, but the doc files you have can be opened normally?

First create a new ERUNT backup. This must be done first.
Download LNK assoc fix here. Unzip the file, then double-click the REG file to import it. Reboot.

After that let's try rebuilding the icon cache.
Open Task Manager, choose all instances of "explorer.exe" (take care to choose just this filename). Your desktop will disappear. Don't close Task Manager just yet.
In Task Manager, click File - New Task, type "cmd" then click OK. In the Command Prompt window type in:

Click New Task again, type in "explorer.exe" then click OK. Your desktop should now come back.

Yes the icon isn't working, but when I dbl click the files they open normally.

Ok I downloaded the registry file, but an error popped up when I tried to import it. I attached it so you can see it and tell me how to proceed...

@rs I went back into Autoruns and rechecked what you told me to, but the icons didn't come back. This is really strange, because before the autoruns, All the icons were there and running fine and after that they went blank. :) I'm not sure what is going on at all...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-05-14_004748 CANNOT OPEN LINK FILE FIX.jpg

Edited by leader2, 13 May 2011 - 10:59 PM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Can you run in Safe Mode, close Explorer then import the key again?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I am in safe mode. How do you close the explorer in safe mode? I tried to reimport the key again without closing the explorer (Because I didn't know how) and it didn't work. Tell me how to close the explorer and I will try to import the key again.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
sorry for the late reply...
open task manager in safe mode, then close any instance of explorer.exe running, like my previous post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
devper94 got ya. Sorry been busy here :)

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

sorry for the late reply...
open task manager in safe mode, then close any instance of explorer.exe running, like my previous post.

I tried that and that doesn't work. I closed the explorer.exe and tried to reimport the reg key you gave me. In doing this I can't access the folder on my desktop that contains the reg key and none of the icons on my desktop are available. The screen is blank except for where it says safe mode. What should I do now? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am begging too think the only way to correct this is with a repair installation. :)

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
What do you mean a repair installation? Can't you just show me how to get the reg key to work in safe mode? I mean it can be done right? I mean all I have to do is be able to get the icons to show after I stop the explorer.exe process on the desktop right? That way I can import the reg key. That should work right? :)

Edited by leader2, 22 May 2011 - 01:02 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Can't you just show me how to get the reg key to work in safe mode?

As you said and I can't find any reg key fix for the printer to work in Win7 safe mode.

I mean all I have to do is be able to get the icons to show after I stop the explorer.exe process on the desktop right?

This is a problem itself and does the icon issue happen when you boot into safe mode?

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
When explorer.exe is killed the desktop disappears. This is normal.

Please open Notepad, paste the contents of the codebox into it, save as "fix.cmd" (WITH quotes).
Put it in the same folder as the reg fix. Name the reg fix "regfix.reg" (WITHOUT the quotes).
Be sure to enable file extension viewing in Explorer (read here to know how), so you can see the ".reg" extension. If the reg file is not named correctly it won't work.
Finally, double click the CMD file to run it. The computer will automatically restart.
@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe > log.txt
reg import regfix.reg >> log.txt
shutdown -r -t 00
Please post the output of the file "log.txt" located in the script folder in your next post.

If this still won't work I think a repair installation is the best way to go, like rshaffer61 said.
A repair installation is a non-destructive Windows installation that repairs missing/damaged Windows files and registry entries while keeping all of your files and settings intact.

Edited by devper94, 22 May 2011 - 08:59 AM.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Can't you just show me how to get the reg key to work in safe mode?

As you said and I can't find any reg key fix for the printer to work in Win7 safe mode.

I mean all I have to do is be able to get the icons to show after I stop the explorer.exe process on the desktop right?

This is a problem itself and does the icon issue happen when you boot into safe mode?

Congratulations on 22,000 posts rs! :unsure:

1. dev gave me that reg key fix and we were going to try it, since the other one didn't seem to work. It might work if dev's instructions below pan out. And this reg key fix isn't for the printer, but for the icons this time.

2. No the icon issue with them disappearing only happened when I stopped the explorer.exe process. But as said said below this is normal. I'm going to try his instructions and see if they work. :)

@devper Where will this script folder be? On the desktop? The c drive? I just want to know where it is so I can find the log txt and attach it with my next reply.

Edited by leader2, 23 May 2011 - 05:46 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You can put it anywhere you want. It doesn't matter. Just put it so you can remember where the log is.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

When explorer.exe is killed the desktop disappears. This is normal.

Please open Notepad, paste the contents of the codebox into it, save as "fix.cmd" (WITH quotes).
Put it in the same folder as the reg fix. Name the reg fix "regfix.reg" (WITHOUT the quotes).
Be sure to enable file extension viewing in Explorer (read here to know how), so you can see the ".reg" extension. If the reg file is not named correctly it won't work.
Finally, double click the CMD file to run it. The computer will automatically restart.

@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe > log.txt
reg import regfix.reg >> log.txt
shutdown -r -t 00
Please post the output of the file "log.txt" located in the script folder in your next post.

If this still won't work I think a repair installation is the best way to go, like rshaffer61 said.
A repair installation is a non-destructive Windows installation that repairs missing/damaged Windows files and registry entries while keeping all of your files and settings intact.

Hi devper. I did the fix.cmd and I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to do, but it rebooted the computer and I still couldn't import the regkey you gave me. Or is that what you wanted me to do? Your instructions weren't clear on this in your post so I wasn't sure if you just wanted me to do the fix.cmd and nothing else or then also do the reg key too. I also did the reg key too, but nothing happened. I still got the same error message. Was the fix.cmd supposed to import the reg key? What exactly was it supposed to do? :) I saw a log file in the same folder the reg key was in. I am going to attach it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   72bytes   229 downloads

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
The command file did the import for you.

Are the icons still not working correctly?

Edit: By any chance did you run this Fixit http://support.micro....com/kb/2286198 ?

Edit 2: Could you rebuild the icon cache one more time?

Edited by devper94, 23 May 2011 - 08:58 AM.