Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you make a hack to make the print spooler start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
The icons still weren't working properly which is why I was concerned in my last post. :unsure: I didn't do the fix at microsoft's website at all. All I can remember is after the autoruns the icons started having this problem. Before then if my memory serves me correctly, they were fine. Maybe it was the ones that rs told me to delete that caused this problem.

I did the fix you told with the command prompt, but it still didn't bring the icons back. Anymore suggestions? :)

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
That's weird...
I can't think of any more causes other than a botched handler or a corrupted cache.

Do you have a Windows CD on hand? If yes, please insert it, open a Command Prompt as admin, and then run "sfc /scannow". Windows will then try to correct itself. Reboot your computer if prompted.
Then, open a Command Prompt as admin again, then type this:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > sfcdetails.txt
notepad sfcdetails.txt
Post the results in your next post.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

That's weird...
I can't think of any more causes other than a botched handler or a corrupted cache.

Do you have a Windows CD on hand? If yes, please insert it, open a Command Prompt as admin, and then run "sfc /scannow". Windows will then try to correct itself. Reboot your computer if prompted.
Then, open a Command Prompt as admin again, then type this:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > sfcdetails.txt
notepad sfcdetails.txt
Post the results in your next post.

A Windows CD? YOu mean like a Windows Vista cd that has the opsys on it? I don't have that, My computer came with the opsys already on it and a recovery partition. I have 3 recovery cds that can do a system recovery on the computer I guess. Will that work?

By the way Thanks for helping me. You and rs have been doing a bang up job of helping me and I couldn't have gotten this far without you. I am sorry that I haven't been remembering to thank your posts. My old fogy brain forgets sometimes so please forgive it. I will thank your posts. Thanks again dev and rs. You guys are great! :)

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Don't worry about thanking us, we are here to help people and we enjoy it :)

And no, the recovery will wipe your C drive.

Do you have a System Restore point before this happened? If not, try to run SFC without a CD. Then please follow the instructions above and post the log here.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can borrow a OEM OS installation disk but it has to be the same version you have installed.

Home
Media Pro

This will allow you to do as Devper94 suggests and then return it. :unsure:
We appreciate the Thank You and as Devper94 says we enjoy helping and a good topic is always great to have once in awhile. No worries about it being so hard as I had one that was over 350 posts. :)

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
@ dev I think I have a system restore point on May 7th.

How do I run an SFC? Is that the process where you can't run it while the computer is running and it has it run at startup for a few hours? Does it replace missing files and such? I'm asking because I think rs had me run that already. Do I have to run it again?

@ rs I have Windows Vista 64 bit installed on my machine. Is there an OEM OS installation disk for that? And who do I borrow it from? I don't know anybody with an installation disk. Could I borrow one from a store? Please let me know.

Wow rs. 350 posts! That is truly amazing! What was that topic about and do you have a link to it? I would like look at it and maybe I could learn something?

@ at you both

Thank you both for your kind words. I really appreciate them and I really appreciate your help. You guys have both been so nice to me. I really appreciate being apart of the forums! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok rs I will run it. Can I run SFC while running other programs? Or will the other program interfere with it? And do you have a link to your thread that was 350 posts? I'd like to see it. :)

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Other programs aren't likely to interfere with SFC, but you should close all programs first just to be safe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't have a link for it at this time.

Advertisements

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

I did the sfc rs. It said there were some files it couldn't fix though. The log was too large to attach to my post so I will provide you with a download link.

http://www.mediafire...7a9tpk9t78y0z1h

Please tell me what you think.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm it looks like Windows Sidebar is what it can't repair.
Just by chance did you add something to sidebar right before this all started?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
No I didn't add anything to the windows sidebar. In fact I never used the sidebar for anything, although once there was a problem where my sony walkman got intergrated into the sidebar and that had to be corrected, but that was a long time ago and I think the computer has been reformatted since then. Is there anything else I need to do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might try booting to Safe Mode and run SFC again to see if it can correct that also.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

@ dev I think I have a system restore point on May 7th.

Can you revert to that point and tell me if it works?

Also, your SFC fix went fine. It is normal for INI files to be changed.

If SR doesn't work try a repair installation. Be careful; choosing the wrong type of installation will wreck your data. I sill recommend you to make a backup first before trying.