Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with first build, no power

• Please log in to reply

delsoldemon

delsoldemon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, here is my setup in a Danger Den Airbox

Gigabyte 870a-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4
12gb DDR3 Corsair ram
Radeon 6950 video card
Apevia 680w Iceberg power PSU
Hitachi Deskstar 1tb HD
LG SuperMulti Blue Blueray RW

When I turn on the psu and hit the power switch nothing happens. I took out the power switch and tried a flathead screwdriver on the two pins, nothing. I took the psu back to Fry's, they hooked it up and it started up fine.

What should I try next? I unplugged the power connections to the mb and reconnected them, still nothing.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi delsoldemon, :D

Is this a new build and the first time you tried to power up?

Do you have a system speaker installed?

delsoldemon

delsoldemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, this is a new build and the first time I am trying to power up.

I dont have speakers hooked up. I was trying to get a response from the PSU like I saw @ Fry's where the fan turns on and it lights up. No dice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like either one of the power connections is hooked up or the MOBO is mounted with a standoff in the wrong place causing a short.
CPU not seated properly or memory backwards.
:D

delsoldemon

delsoldemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have disconnected everything and I will unmount the MB. I will also check the memory and processor. Thanks for the help everyone.

delsoldemon

delsoldemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help everyone! With the mb un-mounted, the processor and memory reinstalled I got power! Now I am going to try mounting the MB again and see if it works. At least I know everything is working now! Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure to check the location of the standoffs as I bet you have one in a wrong spot and it is shorting the MOBO out in the case.
:D

delsoldemon

delsoldemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
After I remounted it it still powers up, now I am just adding one component at a time then testing everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. It could be a loose connection or a screw not tightened down causing a short.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I dont have speakers hooked up

Not speakers as in integrated Realtek or add on sound card.

This is the type of internal system speaker that is useful for indicating a fault on POST. It is attached to the speaker pins on the front header panel. I usually get them from old PCs or from scrapped ones at my local PC shop. > http://www.amazon.co...02474812&sr=1-2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 4 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

delsoldemon

delsoldemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all the help everyone. I am not sure which fixed it, but the two things I changed were the heat-sink on the processor wasnt totally on correctly and I only used two of the screws for the MB mounts to hold the MB in place. Everything is up and running great, memory all recognized, video card working great, no issues at all. I am posting from the PC right now.

Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I only used two of the screws for the MB mounts to hold the MB in place

Though this may work it is not a secure way of holding your mobo to the plate.
Did you remove all the other standoffs under the mobo then?
The heatsink not secure may be part of the issue but not being secure would not stop the system from starting. It would however cause the system to shut down in a minute or two.