Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Safe mode password invalid

• Please log in to reply

Crom_Inf

Crom_Inf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If someone could please assist...

I used MsConfig and checked /safeboot> minimal in order to booti into safe mode and remove a particular version of a Randex worm. The following part of the operation is what went wrong, As I entered the safe mode login screen, I did not see the usual Administrator account, Instead it was just my own username from normal mode and nothing else. The problem became apparent when my own account would not accept my password, and because there are no other accounts available, I can't log on. To make matters worse, I used Msconfig to enter safe mode, so no matter what I do (f8>start windows normally, etc.) th computer always ends up in safe mode without me knowing the password.

WHAT DO I DO?

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

This is why that /SAFEBOOT is a dangerous method to use. Why didn't you use the F8 key instead?

Do you know the Administrator password? Did anyone set one for this computer? If not, leave it blank and hit Enter key for Administrator account. You should be able to get in. Make sure you uncheck that box in msconfig->boot.ini once you are done.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Administrator password is different from the current user password. It is usually cofigured upon the first time Win XP was installed, setup and used. However, it could also be change anytime from the control panel. I suggest you try to recall who had setup your computer then ask for details regarding the admin password.