Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing when password required

• Please log in to reply

Windows7Lover

Windows7Lover

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit on a Dell laptop. Since it is a laptop I shut it down and restart it almost every day. In doing so, I want the security of having to use a password on resume to protect my data but is there any way to require a password on resume, but not on boot. Since whenever I boot the computer I am going to be using it right then, it would be nice to be able to walk away from the computer for a minute and come back when it is ready and booted. Is there any way to do this, either through Windows 7 itself or perhaps a third party program? Thanks for any info.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Yes indeed you can have Windows prompt for a password when it is woken up from sleep mode. However, for that to work, your user account must have a password assigned to it so that you'll be prompted for the password everytime you start Windows. This same password is the one Windows asks for on wake up.

So first you need to set a password up on your user account: Control Panel >> User Accounts.

Having done that, Control Panel >> Power Options.
In the left pane, click Require a password on wake-up

Windows7Lover

Windows7Lover

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Yes indeed you can have Windows prompt for a password when it is woken up from sleep mode. However, for that to work, your user account must have a password assigned to it so that you'll be prompted for the password everytime you start Windows. This same password is the one Windows asks for on wake up.

So first you need to set a password up on your user account: Control Panel >> User Accounts.

Having done that, Control Panel >> Power Options.
In the left pane, click Require a password on wake-up

Thanks for the reply, but I know about that. I wanted to know if there was any way to require a password on resume from sleep or hibernation, without having one on computer boot-up? Thanks again.