Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build please help!

• Please log in to reply

lookitzryan

lookitzryan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im having unwanted pc restarts most of them are during the Windows 7 loading screen but everynow and then it will load windows for a few seconds/minutes(If im EXTREMELY LUCKY). I managed enough time to update the bios, unchecked the Auto restart in System protection, i have 2 DDR3 4gig ram sticks I took one out to see if that would fix it.. It didn't i switched them.. Still crashes.. No blue screen with the auto restart. I have tried Safe Mode with and without internet but that fails.
Here are my specs:

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960
Thermaltake - 850-Watt TR2 RX Power Supply - Black
LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
+ 2 x 120mm blue LED fan

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Vcore 1.252V
DDR15V 1.520V
+3.3V 4.524V
+5V 5.080V
+12V 12.365V
Sys Temp 30C
PCU Temp 40C
MCH Temp 36C

My PC seems stable in BIOS mode but outside of it its unstable.

Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Such a beautiful build with such a rough problem!

Edited by lookitzryan, 10 April 2011 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Are you 200% sure you do not have any extra standoffs under the board? Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards so they typically have several more motherboard mounting holes than the motherboard has. If not absolutely positive there are no extra standoffs or other foreign objects under the board, pull the board.

Make sure all your power connections are tight. Make sure all your fans are working. Did you apply a proper layer of TIM?

lookitzryan

lookitzryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I double checked on the MOBO its rised properly.. I Did install the TIM correctly and all my fans are running properly.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So does it consistently make it past POST and bombs when Windows tries to load?

lookitzryan

lookitzryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No its kind of funny.... sometimes it will run for a few minutes in windows and act fine but ill try and a game it will crash.... Sometimes it will pass BIOS boot and crash at loading screen, other times windows will just start opening applications and it will restart.. Im really puzzled by this. I have and old HD with windows from my previous build and it does the same in that windows 7.... I am using a clean HD i tried installing Win7 and XP i installed 7 but trying xp it restarted during the install

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sadly, those symptoms are common for many things. Bad power, failing RAM, heat, failing graphics card. You might stop the auto restart to see if you do get a blue screen message. See http://pcsupport.abo...t-windows-7.htm

lookitzryan

lookitzryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Digerati thanks so much for following me through this but i have already tried that and i don't get the blue screen, my pc just restarts.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I would want to try a known good PSU. If still reboots, I would start swapping our RAM, graphics, cards, even CPU. If you have good power, I would suspect the RAM is not compatible (did you buy from the list on the motherboard maker's site) or the motherboard.

lookitzryan

lookitzryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Digerati thanks i never thought to check the memory list thanks for ur help im ordering some new memory today please keep an eye out for this post ill let you know the positive or negative news from the new memory

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, buying from the list is not mandatory because there is just too may RAM makers and RAM modules to test all of them. So, "in theory" you should be able to buy RAM with the same specs as those listed. But you have a better chance of compatibility by buying from the list.